The organization has "a top-drawer cast, including Silicon Valley heavy-hitters like Eric Jackson (a former PayPal colleague of Martin's, where he was head of marketing) and Gil Amelio (former CEO of two Fortune 500 companies, including Apple Computer) (bio), among others," Stephanie Dube wrote January 17, 2007, for Human Events Online. Many of TheVanguard's staff and advisors are members of the secretive conservative group the Council for National Policy.
Martin "has both entrepreneurial—he worked for the Internet commerce site PayPal—and movement experience—he is a member of the Federalist Society and the secretive Council on National Policy among other far right groups," Bill Berkowitz wrote February 28, 2007, for Inter Press Service.
In 1999, Martin was the Executive Director of the Eagle Forum of Arkansas. 
Martin "holds Life Memberships in Gun Owners of America and the National Rifle Association and 'also serves as Executive Vice President of the National Federation of Republican Assemblies (NFRA) (web), on the Board of Governors of the Council for National Policy, and as a member of The Arlington Group'," Berkowitz wrote February 5, 2007, for Media Transparency. Martin also served as Director of Policy Planning and Research for Arkansas Governor and GOP2008 presidential hopeful Mike Huckabee.
"But it is far from an all-California show," Dube wrote. "Americans for Tax Reform founder Grover Norquist is on its board too, as are Club for Growth founder (and current Wall Street Journal editorial board member) Stephen Moore, famed actress Jane Russell, direct-mail pioneer Walt Longyear, 'compassionate conservatism' guru Marvin Olasky, even Reagan Doctrine-architect Jack Wheeler. Martin refuses to confirm or deny rumors that Jerome Corsi—co-author of 2004's 'Unfit for Command,' which irreparably damaged John Kerry's presidential hopes—has signed on for a similar effort against" Hillary Clinton.
Another "new employee is Richard Poe, a longtime journalist and former employee of conservative provocateur/entrepreneur David Horowitz, who is the group's editorial and creative director," Berkowitz wrote. "Poe recently co-authored, with Horowitz, The Shadow Party: How George Soros, Hillary Clinton, and Sixties Radicals Seized Control of the Democratic Party, a book that accuses liberals of using deception, lies, and Soros' dough to take over the country.
"Poe has also been a close observer of Hillary Clinton, having penned Hillary's Secret War, which according to the author, describes 'how Hillary Clinton and the left's 'shadow government' have laboured to put her and her far-left agenda in the White House by controlling the still-uncensored flow of real news to Americans -- via the Internet'," Berkowitz wrote.
"Martin and gang don't come from the 'kinder gentler' school of conservatism. These are hardball players backed by the requisite hardball rhetoric," Berkowitz wrote.
The Name and the Mission
TheVanguard.Org home page states:
- "Let's Take the Fight to MoveOn
- "Founded by some of Silicon Valley's most successful conservatives, TheVanguard.Org is here to take the battle to the enemy. Read more about how we're going to fix the Republicans and beat the Democrats in 2008, and be part of our Plan for Victory."
"If TheVanguard.org sounds familiar," Stephanie Dube wrote January 17, 2007, for Human Events Online, "it is: Martin's earlier, all-volunteer Vanguard Policy Action Council, has been around for years. And the name has deeper origins still. 'It comes from Lenin’s description of the Communist Party as the vanguard of the revolution,' he says. 'We're tweaking the left; we're also asserting the revolution of Washington and Madison.'"
"At present, there are several noteworthy things about TheVanguard.org," Bill Berkowitz wrote February 28, 2007, for Inter Press Service: "the origin of its name; its stated goal to both emulate and take on MoveOn.org; its mix of Silicon Valley pedigree and fundraising sources with veteran movement conservatives; its weaving of so-called traditional religious principles with secular conservatism; and its hiring of dedicated slash-and-burn right-wing ideologues."
The Vanguard.Org describes itself as "an online community of Americans who believe in conservative values, the free market and limited government as the best means to bring hope and ever-increasing opportunity to everyone, especially the poorest among us. We empower regular people to exercise their rights and fulfill their civic responsibilities, by organizing with them for effective action; by training candidates and citizens in the nuts and bolts of how to win; and by promoting policy ideas calculated to reshape America and the globe." 
Senior Leadership Team
The following are listed as members of the organization's senior leadership team (biographical links on page): 
- Rod D. Martin, J.D., Founder and Chairman
- Sherri Ross Martin, Co-Chairman
- Shawn Mitchell, DMD, Vice Chairman (info)
- Gil Amelio, Ph.D., Finance Chairman and Systems Strategist
- Eric M. Jackson, Outreach and Web Guru
- Jerome R. Corsi, Ph.D., Senior Political Strategist
- Shannon Royce, Esq., Washington Director
- Kellyanne Conway, J.D., Research Director and Senior Political Strategist
- Thomas Dodd, Strategic Partnerships Director
- Nicholas Stehle, Information Technology and Policy Director
- Cleta Mitchell, Esq., General Counsel
Board of Advisors
The Vanguard.Org board of advisors includes (biographical links on page): 
- Dr. Carole Adams, Foundation for American Christian Education
- Dr. Gil Amelio, Former CEO, Apple Computer and National Semiconductor (bio)
- Ernst Bauer, Heimstra Product Development
- Joel Belz, Founder and Publisher, World Magazine
- James C. Czirr, President and CEO, Minerva Biotechnologies
- Bobby Greenberg, Founding President, Semiconductor Equipment and Materials Institute (SEMI), North America
- Hon. Bryan Hughes, Texas House of Representatives
- Eric M. Jackson, President and CEO, World Ahead Publishing (bio)
- Wayne Johnson, President, JohnsonClark Associates
- Keet Lewis, Chairman, Lewis Group International
- Walt Longyear, Fundraising Pioneer; Former Vice President, The Leadership Institute
- Grover Norquist, Founder and President, Americans for Tax Reform
- Dr. Marvin Olasky, Father of "Compassionate Conservatism"
- Jane Russell, Actress and Activist
- Alan E. Sears, Esq., President, Alliance Defense Fund
- Dr. Jack Wheeler, Architect of the Reagan Doctrine
The following were previously listed as members of the organization's staff or advisory board (it is not clear whether these were employed by TheVanguard.Org or by Vanguard PAC):
- Frank Beard, Senior Editor
- Amy Bedsole, Assistant to the Chairman
- John M. Hallman, Florida State Director
- Richard Poe, Editorial Director
- Tim Pope, Grassroots Director
- Paul Pressler, Advisory Board - NOTE: Pressler spearheaded the rightwing takeover of the Southern Baptist Convention
- Peter Thiel, Advisory Board - NOTE: Thiel founded PayPal and is on the board of Facebook.
1099 Forest Lake
Niceville, Florida 32578
Phone: 850 729-0401
FAX: 501 421-9720
Email: Vanguard AT TheVanguard.Org
- Website: http://www.thevanguard.org (Web address dates to May 1998.)
- Weblog: http://blog.thevanguard.org/ (Archives dates to March 2005.)
- Website: http://archermartin.thevanguard.org/ (Website of Rod Martin's son, Archer Martin. Archives dates to December 2006.)
- Website: http://davidjeffers.thevanguard.org/ (Website of David Jeffers. Archives dates to December 2006.)
- Weblog: http://techblog.thevanguard.org/ (Archives dates to October 2005.)
Related SourceWatch/Congresspedia Resources
- 527 committee
- Atlas Project
- internet activism
- political action committee
- soft money
- U.S. congressional elections in 2008
- U.S. presidential election, 2008
- Rod D. Martin, Commentary of the Month: "Vanguard of the Revolution," Investmentrarities.com, January 9, 2004.
- "Vanguard PAC Says Alito 'the Cream of the Crop'," TheRealityCheck.org, October 31, 2005.
- "When Southern Baptists Lie," Growing Sense Blogspot, February 6, 2006.
- Stephanie Dube, "The Next MoveOn.org?" Human Events Online, January 18, 2007. Note: Stephanie Dube (resume) "sells her services as a ghostwriter." 
- kos, "Swiftboating Hillary," Daily Kos, January 18, 2007.
- Richard Poe, "A conservative MoveOn.org," ShadowParty.com, January 22, 2007.
- "Peter Thiel's misfits," Valleywag, January 22, 2007.
- Jerome R. Corsi, "TheVanguard.org Plans Conservative Challenge to MoveOn.org," Human Events Online, January 23, 2007.
- Richard Poe, "What Hillary Needs is a Good Swiftboating," ShadowParty.com, January 26, 2007.
- Robert Novak,"Dour McCain," Townhall.com, January 27, 2007. Scroll down to section "Undermining Hillary".
- Michael Markman, "Wingnutters Gearing Up to Swiftboat Hillary; Backed by Gil Amelio and an All-Star Cast," Mickeleh's Soapbox Blogspot, January 27, 2007.
- "TheVanguard.org: Taking On MoveOn," California Conservative, January 30, 2007.
- Mark Pritchard, "Local far-right millionaire launches foamer website," Metroblogging San Francisco, January 30, 2007.
- Bill Berkowitz, "Spooked by MoveOn.org, conservative movement seeks to emulate liberal powerhouse," Media Transparency, February 5, 2007.
- pastordan, "Onward Christian Soldiers," Street Prophets (A Daily Kos Community), February 6, 2007.
- Carrie Sheffield, "Brownback Leads The Field In Missed Votes," The Politico, February 16, 2007.
- Proud Conservative, "WOW! Rod Martin still an embarrassment to Arkansas," Arkansas Family Coalition Blogspot, February 17, 2007.
- Bill Berkowitz, "Right's New Strategy Emulates the 'Enemy'," Inter Press Service, February 28, 2007.
- Bill Berkowitz, "MoveOn for conservatives?" Bend Weekly, April 13, 2007: "Fueled with Silicon Valley money, longtime conservative activist Rod Martin's 'TheVanguard.org' intends to carry the 'revolution forward'."
- Josh Harkinson, "Masters of Their Domain" Mother Jones, June 20, 2007.
- Matt Greenop, "Facebook - the CIA conspiracy" The New Zealand Herald, August 8, 2007.
- George Roberts, "FaceBook, the intelligence community and right-wing PACs" rWorld, October 13, 2007.