The Hart Group was established by Richard N. Bethell in July of 1999 and registered in Bermuda after his departure from Defence Systems Limited in 1997. Bethell, a former SAS officer and recently elevated to Lord Westbury, is a veteran of the private military industry.
They have hired from the South African pool of soldiers as was revealed when Gray Banfield, an employee and former member of SA's Apartheid era Project Barnacle, was killed in Iraq in April 2004. The increase in live fire initiated discussions to allow security forces to up their firepower. 
Bethell went on to address the range of security needs that became so apparent after 9/11 by launching the marine security company Global Marine Security Systems Company in a partnership between Hart, Tufton Oceanic Limited and Energy Transportation Group, Inc. The new company will address the dangers imposed on the transportation of hazardous and explosive materials like Liquified Natural Gas. 
22 Quayside Lodge
William Morris Way
London SW6 2UZ
Phone: 44 (0)20 7751 0771
Fax: 44 (0)20 7384 0501
Email: uk AT hartsecurity.com
Related SourceWatch articles
- Defence Systems Limited
- Charles Antelme
- Erinys International Ltd.
- International Peace Operations Association
- Private Military Corporations
- Home page, Hart, accessed March 2008.
- Hart Group Web site, "The Hart Concept".
- Hart Group Web site, "The Risks".
- Global Marine Security Systems Company
- Jamie Wilson, "Private security firms call for more firepower in combat zone", The Guardian (UK), April 17, 2004, viewed April 17, 2004.