Hartford (The Hartford Financial Services Group, Inc. or The Harford) is a U.S. insurance company selling life insurance as well as property/casualty, homeowners, and auto insurance. Other products are workers' compensation, annuities, employee benefits administration, and mutual funds. It has been in business since 1810. Competitors include AIG, Berkshire Hathaway, and MetLife. 
Sales in 2007 were US$25.9 billion with income of US$4.2 billion. 
Hartford Financial Services gave $206,500 to federal candidates in the 2006 election through its political action committee - 33% to Democrats, 63% to Republicans, and 4% to independent Joe Lieberman (I-CT). 
Executives and 2007 pay: 
- Ramani Ayer, Chairman and CEO, $15,831,896 (also exercised $8,180,508 in options)
- Thomas M. Marra, Chief Operating Officer, $8,837,377 (also exercised $3,505,025 in options)
- Neal S. Wolin, Chief Operating Officer, Property and Casualty Operations, $4,492,191
Selected members of the Board of Directors: 
- Ramon de Oliveira, Adjunct Professor of Finance, Columbia University
- Trevor Fetter, Chief Executive Officer, Tenet Healthcare Corporation
- Edward J. Kelly III, Managing Director, Financial Institutions Group, The Carlyle Group
- Paul G. Kirk, Jr., Chairman and President, Kirk Associates, Inc., Retired Partner, Sullivan & Worcester, law firm
- Gail J. McGovern, Professor of Marketing, Harvard Business School, Director DTE Energy Company.
- Michael G. Morris, Chief Executive Officer of American Electric Power Company, Inc., Director Alcoa, Inc.
- Robert W. Selander, Chief Executive Officer, MasterCard Incorporated
- Charles B. Strauss, Former Chief Executive Officer of Unilever United States, Inc.
- H. Patrick Swygert, Member of the Boards of Directors of Fannie Mae and United Technologies Corporation
One Hartford Plaza
690 Asylum Avenue
Hartford, CT 06115-1900
Related SourceWatch articles
- Hartford Profile, Hoovers, accessed April 2008.
- Hartford Income Statement, Yahoo, accessed April 2008.
- 2006 PAC Summary Data, Open Secrets, accessed April 2008.
- Hartford Financial Services lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed April 2008.
- Management Team, Hartford, accessed April 2008.
- Ramani Ayer, Forbes, accessed April 2008.
- Thomas M Marra, Forbes, accessed April 2008.
- Neal S Wolin, Forbes, accessed April 2008.
- Board of Directors, Harford, accessed April 2008.