ForestEthics a nonprofit environmental organization that was founded in 2000 to campaign to protect Endangered Forests. It has staff in Canada, the United States and Chile. Cofounders include Tzeporah Berman ...
- Executive Director - Todd Paglia
Do Not Mail list campaign
ForestEthics works to minimize the environmental damage caused by the direct mail and catalog-mailing industries. ForestEthics claims that each year junk mail production in the U.S. consumes more than 96.7 billion gallons of water, more than 100 million trees, and that the annual greenhouse-gas emissions from the production of junk mail are equal to those of 3.5 million cars. According to the U.S. Postal Service, the number of pieces of advertising mail (also known as "standard mail") sent annually has risen from 90.5 billion pieces in 2003 to 103.5 billion pieces in 2007. 
To decrease the impact of junk mail on the environment, on March 11, 2008 ForestEthics began promoting the institution of a national "Do Not Mail" list, which would be similar to the national "Do Not Call" list that already exists for telemarketers. The proposed Do Not Mail list would exempt nonprofit and political mail. ForestEthics asks Americans to sign a petition available at www.doNotMail.org demanding a national mailing registry that will give citizens control over the unsolicited coupons, credit cards, catalogs and advertisements that fill their mailboxes on a daily basis.
- Executive Director (2003), Todd Paglia
Accessed September 2009: 
- Marika Holmgren (Acting President)
- Neal Gorenflo (Secretary)
- Michael Klein (Treasurer)
- Jim Clay
- Andy Leebron-Clay
- Kevin Johnson
- Stuart Sender
- Mark Westlund
- Angel Kyoto Williams
- Michael Uehara
- Nadine Weil
Accessed December 2008: 
One Haight Street, Suite B
San Francisco, California 94102
850 West Hastings, Suite 604
Vancouver, BC V6C 1E1
215 Spadina Avenue, Suite 425
Toronto, ON M5T 2C7
1413 K Street NW, 5th Floor
Washington, DC 20005
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Merran Smith
- Canadian Boreal Initiative
- Liz Butler - former organizing director
- Hidden Leaf Foundation
- "About ForestEthics", accessed December 2007.
- Liz Galst Stop junk mail for good Salon.com, December 17, 2007
- Telephone conversation between Anne Landman and Will Craven of ForestEthics on May 5, 2008
- ForestEthics ForestEthics Launches ‘Do Not Mail’ Campaign to Stop Junk Mail Press release. March 11, 2008
- Directors, ForestEthics, accessed September 25, 2009.
- 2003 Annual Report, ForestEthics, accessed December 1, 2008.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|