Council on Foundations
Council on Foundations is an association of 2000 foundations operating in the United States and abroad. "Established in 1949, the Council assists grantmakers through leadership and research programs. It recently contributed nearly $6 billion to education, human services, science research, arts, and urban development projects. Council on Foundations Factsheet, 1995." 
- Maxwell King (Chairman), President - The Heinz Endowments
- Kathryn Merchant (Vice Chair), President & CEO - The Greater Cincinnati Foundation
- Ralph R. Smith (Secretary), Senior Vice President - The Annie E. Casey Foundation
- Sherry Salway Black (Treasurer), Trustee - The Hitachi Foundation
- Steve Gunderson (Ex-Officio), President & CEO - Council on Foundations
- Michael John Balaoing, Esq., Vice President - Entertainment Industry Foundation
- Susan V. Berresford, President - Ford Foundation
- Caroline O. Boitano, Trustee - Giannini Family Foundation
- C. David Campbell, President - McGregor Fund
- Sanford Cardin, Executive Director - Charles & Lynn Schusterman Family Foundation
- Theresa Fay-Bustillos, Executive Director - Levi Strauss Foundation
- Victoria P. Garchitorena, President - Ayala Foundation, Inc.
- Sandra R. Hernández, MD, Chief Executive Officer - The San Francisco Foundation
- John Heubusch, President - The Waitt Family Foundation]]
- Cornelia Higginson, Vice President, Philanthropic Programs - American Express Company
- Patrick Johnston, President & CEO - The Walter & Duncan Gordon Foundation
- Diane S. Kaplan, President & CEO - Rasmuson Foundation
- Martha D. Lamkin, President and CEO - Lumina Foundation for Education
- Olivia P. Maynard, Trustee - Charles Stewart Mott Foundation
- Ronald A. McKinley, Trustee - Headwaters Foundation for Justice
- Penelope McPhee, President - The Arthur M. Blank Family Foundation
- Judy Jolley Mohraz, Ph.D., President and CEO - The Virginia G. Piper Charitable Trust
- Richard L. Moore, President - Weaver Foundation (NC)
- Kathleen Odne, Executive Director - Dean & Margaret Lesher Foundation
- Christine Park, President - Lucent Technologies Foundation
- Joan M. Prince, Ph.D., Trustee - The Greater Milwaukee Foundation
- Ronald B. Richard, President - The Cleveland Foundation
- Julie L. Rogers, President - Eugene & Agnes E. Meyer Foundation
- Jeffrey R. Solomon, President - Andrea & Charles Bronfman Philanthropies, Inc.
- Karl N. Stauber, President - Northwest Area Foundation
- Arturo Vargas, Trustee - Community Technology Foundation of California
- Sherece West, Executive Director - Louisiana Disaster Recovery Foundation
Related sourcewatch resources
- Canadian Centre for Philanthropy
- Documentary Australia Foundation
- Environmental Grantmakers Association
- Funders Network on Trade and Globalization
- Funding Exchange (Progressive foundations)
- Liberal Foundations and the Environmental Movement
- Philanthropy Australia
- The Foundation Center
- Emmett Carson Chair of Directors
- Virginia M. Esposito - Former Vice President
- Alicia Anne Philipp - Former Board Member
- Cole Wilbur - Former CEO
- James A. Joseph - Former CEO
- Joanne Scanlan
- Carol S. Larson
- Anne V. Farrell
- Barnett F. Baron
- Grantmakers in Education
- Paul Spivey - former Secretary
- Patricia Rosenfield - former council member
- David Forgan Freeman - former President
- David S. Ford - former council member
1828 L Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
Phone: 202 466-6512
Fax: 202 785-3926
Email: info AT cof.org
- JoEllen Gorg, "U.S. Foundations: A Review of International Funding Priorities 2002", USAID, May 2002.
Books critical of foundations
- Robert F. Arnove (ed.), Philanthropy and Cultural Imperialism: The Foundations at Home and Abroad, Boston: G. K. Hall, 1980).
- Edward Berman, The Ideology of Philanthropy: The Influence of the Carnegie, Ford, and Rockefeller Foundations on American Foreign Policy, (SUNY Press, 1983)
- Irene L. Gendzier, [Development Against Democracy: Manipulating Political Change in the Third World], (Hampton, CT: Tyrone, 1995).
- Mark Dowie, Losing Ground: American Environmentalism at the Close of the Twentieth Century, (Cambridge: MIT Press, 1995).
- Mark Dowie, American Foundations: An Investigative History, 2002.
- Joan Roelofs, Foundations and Public Policy: The Mask of Pluralism, (Albany: State University of New York Press, 2003). A useful review - with quotes.
- David Horowitz and David Kolodney, "The Foundations (Charity Begins at Home)", Ramparts, 7 (11), April 1969.
- David Horowitz, "Billion Dollar Brains: How Wealth Puts Knowledge in its Pocket" Ramparts, May 1969.
- David Horowitz, Sinews of Empire, Ramparts, October 1969.
- Paul Wolf, OSS and the Development of Psychological Warfare: Cold War Foundations
- Michael Barker, "Capital-driven Civil Society", State of Nature, May 18, 2008.
- Michael Barker, "The Liberal Foundations of Media Reform? Creating Sustainable Funding Opportunities for Radical Media Reform", Global Media Journal, June 2008. (Evolution of the means to manufacture consent.)
- Michael Barker, "The Liberal Foundations of Environmentalism: Revisiting the Rockefeller-Ford Connection", Capitalism Nature Socialism, 19 (2), pp. 15-42. (For full paper email author)
- Joan Roelofs, "The Philanthropies and the Economic Crisis: Where Were the Foundations?", Counterpunch, May 28, 2009.