Thomas R. Pickering
- December 2005: Joins Ariel Sharon's Kadima party 
- January 2001: Boeing Corporation, senior vice president for International Relations and a member of the Boeing Executive Council.
- May 1997 to 2001: Under Secretary for political affairs (retired in January 2001)
- 1993 to 1996: US ambassador to Russian Federation
- 1992 to 1993: US ambassador to India
- 1989 to 1992: Ambassador and Representative to the United Nations
- 1985 to 1988: US ambassador to Israel
- 1983 to 1985: US ambassador to El Salvador
- 1981 to 1983: US ambassador to Nigeria
- 1978 to 1981: Assistant Secretary for Oceans and International Environmental and Scientific Affairs
- 1974 to 1978: US ambassador to Jordan
- 1973 to 1974: Executive Secretary of the U.S. Department of State and Special Assistant to Secretaries William P. Rogers and Henry A. Kissinger
- 1967 to 1969: Deputy Chief of Mission in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
- 1962 to 1964: Political adviser to the U.S. Delegation to the 18-Nation Disarmament Conference in Geneva.
- (1959 to 1961) Bureau of Intelligence and Research of the State Department, in the Arms Control and Disarmament Agency
- 1956 to 1959: U.S. Navy
- 1954: Masters degree, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University
- 1953: graduated from Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine
- Director, National Bureau of Asian Research (NBAR) 
- Director, Henry L. Stimson Center
- Director, International Institute for Strategic Studies - US 
- Trustee, National Committee on American Foreign Policy 
- Trustee, Aspen Institute
- Trustee, Carnegie Corporation of New York
- Trustee, George C. Marshall Foundation
- Member, Council on Foreign Relations (CFR)
- Member, International Institute for Strategic Studies
- Member, Task Force on the United Nations
- Former president, Eurasia Foundation
- Director of the American Iranian Council
- Director of the Center for Democracy
- Chairman, American Academy of Diplomacy 
- Advisory Board, Partnership for a Secure America
- International Advisory Board, International Economic Alliance 
- Advisory Council, Stanley Foundation 
- Executive Committee, Community of West and Islam Dialogue 
- Expert, Campaign for New American Policy on Iran 
- Science and Security Board, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists 
- International Board, U.S./Middle East Project 
- International Management Advisory Group, Fletcher School 
- Council Member, US Asia Pacific Council 
- Advisory Council, Independent Diplomat 
- Honorary Board of Advisors, One Voice 
- Chair of advisory board, CRDF Global
Resources and articles
Publications by Thomas R. Pickering
- "U.S.-Russia relations: building trade and investment" (speech), Vital Speeches of the Day, December 1, 1994 (v61 n4 p100(4)).
- "The Transatlantic Partnership: A History of Defending Freedom; A Future for Extending It." Address at Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic (SACLANT), Old Dominion University Symposium, Norfolk, Virginia, October 30, 1998.
- with James R. Schlesinger, "Weighing the Price of Rebuilding Iraq", The New York Times, April 12, 2003. Also see supporting CFR document.
- Transcript: "What Future for the UN? A Prelude to the 58th UN General Assembly," Council on Foreign Relations, September 9, 2003.
- with James R. Schlesinger and Eric Schwartz, "Iraq: One Year After", Independent Task Force Report, Council on Foreign Relations, March 2004.
- with James F. Dobbins and James R. Schlesinger, Transcript: "Iraq: One Year After," Council on Foreign Relations, March 9, 2004.
- with James R. Schlesinger, "Keep Iraq above Politics", Los Angeles Times, March 30, 2004.
- About, International Institute for Strategic Studies - US, accessed January 17, 2008.
- Principals, National Committee on American Foreign Policy, accessed September 13, 2007.
- Board, American Academy of Diplomacy, accessed July 30, 2007.
- Advisory Boards, International Economic Alliance, accessed January 15, 2008.
- Governance, Stanley Foundation, accessed December 23, 2008.
- Executive Committee, Community of West and Islam Dialogue, accessed September 7, 2008.
- Experts, Campaign for New American Policy on Iran, accessed September 16, 2008.
- Science and Security Board, Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists, accessed September 1, 2009.
- International Board, U.S./Middle East Project, accessed October 25, 2009.
- International Management Advisory Group, Fletcher School, accessed February 23, 2010.
- Members, East West Center, accessed December 11, 2010.
- Advisory Council, Independent Diplomat, accessed September 14, 2011.
- OneVoice Honorary Board of Advisors, organizational web page, accessed January 13, 2013.
- Akiva Eldar, "America's man in the Middle East," Haaretz, December 16, 2005.