Tasmanian politics 2009
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Major developments and issues in Tasmanian politics during 2009 were:
- While the Tasmanian election is not due until March 20, 2010, early election speculation has begun. See Sue Neales,"Team Bartlett has early election whiff", The Mercury, February 14, 2009.
- June 16: The Tasmanian Branch of the Labor organised a $2,000 a head fundraising dinner following the state budget. Attending the dinner were the Premier David Bartlett and the Treasurer Michael Aird.
- June 17: the Resource Planning and Development Commission hearing into the proposal to build the Ralphs bay canal estate commenced.
- June 24: The Opposition raised questions bout the appointment of Alice Burchill, a friend of the Secretary of the Health Department, David Roberts. Burchill was appointed deputy secretary of the department. Alice Burchill's husband, Frank Burchill was recommended by the department to act as a facilitator during wage negotiations, but was not appointed. Roberts son, Sebastian Burchill, was employed by the Health Department for three months from January. He did work experience with the communications and marketing branch of the Department and then worked on an "as needed" basis on six occasions subsequently.
- July 1: David Bartlett announces that Scott Gadd has been appointed the Executive Director, Parks and Strategic Projects in the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment (DPIPWE).
- July 3: Braddon Labor MP Steve Kons, who had resigned as Deputy Premier after misleading Parliament, announced that he will not re-contest his seat at the 2010 election.
- August 1: Pembroke by-election 2009
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- David Bartlett
- David Bartlett's 'Strengthening trust in democracy' plan
- David Bartlett on the 2010 Tasmanian state election
- Labor Party members seeking pre-selection for the 2010 election
- Tarkine 'tourist' road
- Tasmanian politics 2008
- Pembroke by-election 2009
- Resources for researching Tasmanian politics
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
- Michael Stedman and Damien Brown, "$2000 to dine with Bartlett", The Mercury, June 18, 2009.
- David Killick, "Ralphs Bay hearing starts", The Mercury, June 17, 2009.
- Damien Brown, "Health deputy hiring quizzed", The Mercury, June 24, 2009, page 11.
- David Bartlett, "New Assignment For Scott Gadd", Media Release, July 1, 2009.
- "Retirement Of Steve Kons", Media Release, July 3, 2009.