Stephen F. Cohen
Stephen Frand Cohen is a contributing editor at The Nation and married to its former editor-in-chief, Katrina vanden Heuvel. Cohen is also professor emeritus of Russian Studies and History at NYU and was professor emeritus of Politics at Princeton University until 1998. He is a frequent visitor of the John Batchelor Show, a breaking-news program available online, where he contributes to a segment called "Inside the New Cold War". Cohen's Jordan Russia Center at NYU page calls him "among the most distinguished scholars of Russian history in the United States" and "an expert on Russian-American relations", noting how he "has contributed both domestically and abroad in shedding light on the two countries’ political and historical relationship." He has written several books, most recently War with Russia: From Putin and Ukraine To Trump and Russiagate, which is scheduled for release in January 2020.
Content of Writing
Cohen has claimed that Trump is the "improbable messenger" of the "pro-détente argument" towards Russia and attacking Trump as 'Putin's puppet' is an example of "neo-McCarthyism".
Cohen has written extensively about Russiagate, calling it a "myth" and worrying about its implications for armed conflict between the U.S. and Russia.
Throughout 2014 and 2015, Cohen repeatedly characterized U.S. intervention in the Russia-Ukraine conflict "A New Cold War", calling it "the most dangerous geopolitical situation since the Cuban missile crisis" and worrying that the Ukrainian conflict had lead to "a real chance of war with Russia" for the U.S. and NATO.
In a 2015 pre-debate interview on the question of isolation vs. engagement with Russia and Putin, Cohen worried that a "showdown" between Western nations and Russia would "flirt with the danger of nuclear war." He also claimed Putin had been "preposterously demonized in the West", calling his presidency "a traditional, Russian regime". Cohen also argued "the entire United States Congress ...seems to want a showdown with Putin", pointing out how, on the four votes on "shipping the weapons [to Ukraine]... only 48 members of the House voted against it, no members of the Senate."
- 1960, B.S. in Economics and Public Policy from Indiana University
- 1962, M.A. in Government and Russia Studies from Indiana University
- 1969, Ph.D. in Government and Russia Studies from Columbia University
As of September 2019:
- American Association for the Advancement of Slavic Studies
- American Historical Association
- American Political Science Association
- Council on Foreign Relations; Editorial Board, Post-Soviet Affairs (unable to find independent sourcing for this position; however, Cohen has been invited to CFR panel discussions on Russia)
- Casey Michel, "How Putin Played the Far Left", Daily Beast, April 11, 2017, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Julia Ioffe, "Putin’s American Toady at 'The Nation' Gets Even Toadier", New Republic, May 1, 2014, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Jonathan Chait, "The Pathetic Lives of Putin’s American Dupes", New York Magazine, March 14, 2014, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Isaac Chotiner, "Meet Vladimir Putin's American Apologist", New Republic, March 3, 2014, accessed September 19, 2019.
- The Victims Return: Survivors of the Gulag After Stalin(2010, PublishingWorks) ISBN 1933002409
- Failed Crusade: America and the Tragedy of Post-Communist Russia(2000, W. W. Norton & Company) ISBN 0393322262
- Voices of Glasnost: Interviews with Gorbachev's Reformers (with Katrina vanden Heuvel)(1989, W. W. Norton & Company) ISBN 0393026256
- Rethinking the Soviet Experience: Politics and History Since 1917(1985, Galaxy Books) ISBN 0195040163
- Sovieticus: American Perceptions and Soviet Realities : Expanded to Cover the Gorbachev Period(1985, W. W. Norton & Co. Inc.) ISBN 0393303381
- Bukharin and the Bolshevik Revolution: A Political Biography, 1888-1938(1980, Oxford University Press) ISBN 0195026977
Stephen F. Cohen, Professor Emeritus, NYU
Phone: (212) 998-8289
Articles and Resources
- Tim Hains, Stephen F. Cohen: Forget "Russiagate," "Intelgate" Is Real Scandal; Someone In CIA "Running An Operation" Against Trump, RealClearPolitics, June 27, 2017, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Appearances on Democracy Now!
- Interview with Aaron Maté on The Real News Network
- Munk Debates: The West vs. Russia
- Jordan Michael Smith, "Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?", Chronicle Review, November 15, 2017, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Princeton Department of Politics, Stephen F. Cohen, university website, accessed September 19, 2019.
- John Batchelor Show, Stephen F. Cohen, organizational website, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Jordan Russia Center, Stephen F. Cohen, university website, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Goodreads, War With Russia, organizational website, accessed September 19, 2019.
- NYU Faculty, Stephen Cohen, university website, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Stephen F. Cohen, "Cold War, Détente, Neo-McCarthyism, and Donald Trump", Nation, August 3, 2016, accessed September 30, 2019 (subscription needed after three free monthly articles.
- The Nation, "Russiagate" + "Cohen" search, organizational website, accessed September 30, 2019.
- The Nation, Stephen F. Cohen, page 24, organizational website, accessed September 30, 2019.
- The Nation, Stephen F. Cohen, page 23, organizational website, accessed September 30, 2019.
- The Nation, Stephen F. Cohen, page 20, organizational website, accessed September 30, 2019.
- Stephen F. Cohen, "On the Ukrainian Crisis: Why a New Cold War?", Nation, February 19, 2015, accessed September 30, 2019 (subscription needed after three free monthly articles.
- Stephen F. Cohen, "There Is a Real Chance of War With Russia", Nation, March 12, 2015, accessed September 30, 2019 (subscription needed after three free monthly articles.
- , Munk Debate on The West vs. Russia- Pre-Debate Interview: Stephen F. Cohen, Munk Debates Vimeo channel, April 10, 2015, accessed September 30, 2019.
- Council on Foreign Relations, The State of U.S.-Russia Relations, organizational website, October 21, 2016, accessed September 19, 2019.
- Council on Foreign Relations, Russia Update: Is the Reset Working?, organizational website, October 28, 2009, accessed September 19, 2019.