Seyferth Spaulding Tennyson
This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on front groups and corporate spin.
Seyferth Spaulding Tennyson Inc. (SST) is a public relations firm based in Grand Rapids, Michigan.
In 2007, the PR firm organized a campaign, funded by the Meijer retail giant, to secretly orchestrate a recall of elected officials in Acme Township, which apparently violated state campaign finance laws. According to local reporter Brian McGillivary, Meijer paid SST "at least $30,000 in a failed effort to remove Acme's board after years of zoning disputes over Meijer's plans to build a store along M-72 in Grand Traverse County. Meijer's public relations firm crafted recall language, devised election strategy, wrote campaign literature, and used local residents as figureheads in the recall."
SST directed the campaign using front groups including Acme Taxpayers for Responsible Government and the Acme Recall Committee. "It gives me a chill, how much money they can spend to ruin other people," said Acme Clerk Dorothy Dunville, one of the public officials targeted by the company's recall campaign.
- 1 Clients
- 2 Banking and retailers
- 3 Contact information
- 4 References
- 5 External links
Banking and retailers
- Fifth Third Bank
- Huntington Bank
- Independent Bank
- Irwin Union Bank
- West Michigan Wireless
Commercial, Residential Builders and Engineers
- Fleis & VandenBrink Engineering, Inc.
- Holwerda Homes
- Platinum Construction & Associates
- Rockford Construction Co.
- The Taubman Co.
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Forest Hills Public Schools
- Grand Rapids Community College
- Grand Rapids Public Schools
- Grand Valley State University
- Management Solutions Group
- West Michigan CDL
- Kalamazoo River Study Group
- Macatawa Area Coordinating Council
- Waste Management
- West Michigan Sustainable Business Forum
- Wolverine Power Cooperative Inc.
- Zeeland Farm Services
Government & Associations
- Association for Corporate Growth
- Precision Metalforming Association
- Allegan County Parks Department
- City of Detroit
- City of Grand Haven
- City of Grand Rapids
- City of Kentwood
- City of Wyoming
- Kent County Board of Commissioners
- Kent County Parks Department
- Office of the Attorney General
- Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan
- Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- Children's Choice of Michigan
- Children's Hospital of Michigan
- Detroit Medical Center
- Detroit Receiving Hospital
- Early Solutions Clinic, LLC
- Huron Valley Sinai Hospital
- Hutzel Women's Hospital
- Ionia County Memorial Hospital
- Johnson Portables, Inc.
- Karmanos Cancer Institute
- Life EMS Ambulance
- Northern Michigan Hospital
- Pilgrim Manor Retirement Community
- Region II South Medical Bio-Defense Network
- StageRight, Inc.
- United Memorial Health Services
- Wayne State University School of Medicine
Legal and Financial
- Bush, Seyferth, Kethledge & Paige PC
- Clark Hill
- DilleyHaney, P.C.
- Dykema Gossett PLLC
- Edward Jones
- Gruel Mills Nyms & Pylman LLP
- Miller Johnson
- Pepper Hamilton, LLC
- Plante Moran
- Georgia-Pacific Corporation
- Haworth Inc.
- Huizenga Manufacturing Group
- LPiT Solutions
- Perrigo Company
- MEDBIO Inc.
- Robert BOSCH Corp.
- SUSPA, Inc.
- Synergis Technologies Group, Inc.
- Westwater Group
- X-Rite, Inc.
- Coldwell Banker Schmidt
- Front Row Condominiums
- Grand Landing LLC
- Grubb Ellis Paramount Commerce
- Ramco-Gershenson, Inc.
- Robert B. Aikens & Associates
- RiverHouse Condominiums
- Rockford Development
- Three Oaks Group
- Walker/Orchard Land Partners
Not-for-Profit/Social Services/Arts & Culture
- American Cancer Society
- Bethany Christian Services
- Better Business Bureau of Western Michigan, Inc.
- Catholic Diocese of Grand Rapids
- Concerned Citizens Council
- Detroit Downtown, Inc.
- Dutch American Heritage Council
- Economic Club of Grand Rapids
- Goodwill Industries of Greater Grand Rapids, Inc.
- Grand Rapids Art Museum
- Grand Rapids Ballet
- Grand Rapids Area Chamber of Commerce
- Grand Rapids Wheelchair Sports Association
- Hispanic Center of Western Michigan
- The Henry Ford Museum
- Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- The Literacy Center of West Michigan
- Kresge Foundation
- Mackinac Center for Public Policy
- Rotary International, Grand Rapids Chapter
- Wedgwood Christian Services
- West Michigan Science and Technology Initiative
- Women's Resource Center
275 Iron Street
Detroit, MI 48207
Phone: (313) 393-7890
Fax (313) 393-7893
40 Monroe Center NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
Phone: (616) 776-3511
Fax (616) 776-3502
Toll free phone: (800) 435-9539
Email: info AT seyferthpr.com