Roland Rich was the Director at the Australian Centre for Democratic Institutions from 1998 (when it was created) until 2005.
In 2004 the International Foundation for Election Systems, launched their new magazine Democracy at Large and "invited CDI Director Roland Rich to join the editorial board to help bring an Asia-Pacific focus to the new magazine." 
In 2005, Rich was awarded a Reagan-Fascell Fellowship by the National Endowment for Democracy. "The Fellowship will enable Roland to pursue his research interest in the consolidation of Democracy in Asia." 
"He has served on diplomatic postings in the Philippines, Burma and France and as Australian ambassador to Laos. Within the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade he has served as Legal Adviser and as Assistant Secretary of the International Organisations Branch." 
"Mr Rich has been a research fellow at the National Endowment for Democracy in Washington DC and most recently served on the Australian Defence College staff, teaching and mentoring senior officers studying at the Centre for Defence and Strategic Studies.
"Mr Rich has had broad international experience in his career, including diplomatic postings to Paris, Rangoon and Manila, and serving as Australia’s Ambassador to Laos from 1994 to 1997." 
- Executive Director, Democracy Fund
Taken from CV 
- September 2004, Danida (Denmark) consultancy to conduct study tour for delegation from the Supreme People’s Procuracy of Vietnam
- August 2004, Danida (Denmark) consultancy to conduct training for the Office of National Assembly of Vietnam
- November 2003, NDI (USA) consultancy for study tour by Timor-Leste National Parliamentary Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and National Security
- August 2002, Commonwealth Secretariat consultancy as resource person for preparatory meeting of Pacific Heads of Government, Nadi
- June 2002, AusAID appointed advisor to UNDP workshop for Office of National Assembly, Danang, Vietnam
- May 2001, NAMFREL election observer, Philippine Congressional elections
- Jan-Feb 2000, Leader of Mission to make recommendations on a Governance Assistance Strategy in Indonesia, for AusAID.
- 1999-2000, Manager of projects to assist Thailand with new institutions under the Constitution including the Thai Parliamentary Ombudsman Office, for AusAID
- June 1999, Needs Analysis of the new Cambodian Senate for AusAID
- April 1999, Ford Foundation consultancy to conduct workshop on managing transition in East Timor, Canberra
- Political parties in the Pacific Islands (2006) Edited by Roland Rich with Luke Hambly and Michael G. Morgan.
- The UN Role in Promoting Democracy: Between Ideals and Reality, (2004) Edited by: Edward Newman and Roland Rich (Contributors: Simon Chesterman, Tom J. Farer, Tanja Hohe, Ylber Hysa, Robin Ludwig, Henning Melber, Edward Newman, Sorpong Peou, Benjamin Reilly, Roland Rich, Amin Saikal, Laurence Whitehead, Richard Ponzio)  (Sample Chapter)
- Losing control: freedom of the press in Asia (2000) Edited by Louise Williams and Roland Rich.