Richard Charles Albert Holbrooke
Richard Charles Albert Holbrooke was an influenctial US diplomat with stints at the United Nations, and dealing with the former Yugoslavia and Afghanistan. From his Foreign Policy Association profile:
- ... professional diplomat, was Permanent United States Representative to the United Nations from 1999 to 2001. He began his career as a Foreign Service officer in 1962 but left in 1972 to become managing editor of the quarterly magazine Foreign Policy, a position he held until 1976. In 1977, he was appointed by President Jimmy Carter as Assistant Secretary of State for East Asian and Pacific Affairs.
Ambassador Holbrooke has had a very active career in the nonprofit sector, serving as chairman of Refugees International from 1996 to 1999, two-time board member of the International Rescue Committee, founding chairman of the American Academy in Berlin, director of the Council on Foreign Relations, and a member of the board of directors of the National Endowment for Democracy.
Countrywide mortgage scandal
Holbrooke was among the prominent politicians who may have received favorable mortgage deals from Countrywide, a mortgage lender at the heart of the current mortgage crises. According to an investigation conducted by Conde Nast's Portfolio, Countrywide's V.I.P program may have bent rules to offer Holbrooke and his family members a multitude of better mortgage deals which saved them thousands of dollars on interest payments.
- Main article: Countrywide Mortgage Scandal
- Africa-America Institute – Board member; NB: this institute is a project of the AJC
- AIDS, Security and Conflict Initiative, Advisory Committee 
- AIPAC – Member
- American Academy in Berlin, Chairman
- America Bosnia Foundation, Advisory Board (chair) 
- American Himalayan Foundation, Director
- Council for America's First Freedom, Advisory Council
- Council on Foreign Relations – Board Member
- Dayton International Peace Museum, Honorary Trustee
- Dayton Peace Accords Project, Former Board member,
- Foreign Policy, Managing Editor
- Humpty Dumpty Institute, Director
- Malaria no More, Director 
- Advisory Board, Partnership for a Secure America
- National Coalition on Asia and International Education in the Schools Member 
- National Endowment for Democracy
- Perseus LLC – Vice Chairman
- Public Strategies, Inc., Advisory Boarda 
- Refugees International, Board member
- Telluride Foundation, Board Member
- United Against Nuclear Iran, Co-Founder & Former Co-Chairman
Corporate Board Memberships
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Leadership, AIDS, Security and Conflict Initiative, accessed April 6, 2010.
- Richard Holbrooke, Address to AIPAC's National Summit, 24 October 2004. In the speech he states:
- But anyway, I am just thrilled to be here. I'm thrilled to be part of this extraordinary organization. I'm very grateful to Amy and Bernice for inviting me. My personal relationship with AIPAC goes back a long way. I visited Si Kenen in his offices in the late 1960s when I was a junior diplomat in Washington working at the Johnson White House. I knew Morrie Amitay and Tom Dine, and now Howard Kohr, so I think I've known all but one of your leaders in the 50 – since your founding leader, and Si Kenen was a remarkable man, and his vision for what Israel needed, a group in Washington that would bring to the attention of Congress, the executive branch and the world, the realities of the region changed American foreign policy in a very dramatic way. And so, whenever I'm asked to speak at AIPAC – I spoke at the regional New York meeting two years ago – I am deeply honored to be here. Thank you so much. (Applause.)
- Advisory Board, America Bosnia Foundation, accessed January 27, 2011.
- Trustees, Council for America's First Freedom, accessed January 30, 2009.
- Who we are, Dayton International Peace Museum, accessed 5 August 2009.
- Leadership (Archived Page from 2006), Dayton Peace Accords Project, accessed January 27, 2011.
- Directors, Malaria no More, accessed 28 November 2007.
- Overview, National Coalition on Asia and International Education in the Schools, accessed 24 December 2007.
- Leadership, United Against Nuclear Iran, accessed February 3, 2009.
- List of Public Strategies, Inc. Advisory Board members. Undated, accessed 2nd October, 2004.
- Edward S. Herman, "Richard Holbrooke, Samantha Power, and the “Worthy-Genocide” Establishment (Kafka Era Studies Number 5)", Znet, March 24, 2007.
- Edward Herman, "Inhumanitarian Intervention", Zmag, May 2007.