Peter Dobkin Hall
Peter Dobkin Hall "is Senior Research Fellow at the Hauser Center for Nonprofit Organizations at the Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University and Adjunct Professor and Senior Research Associate at the School of Public Affairs, Baruch College, City University of New York."  CV
- The Organization of American Culture, 1700-1900: Private Institutions, Elites, and the Origins of American Nationality (New York University Press, 1982)
- Inventing the Nonprofit Sector: Essays on Philanthropy, Voluntarism, and Nonprofit Organizations (Johns Hopkins University Press, 1992)
- (with George E. Marcus) Lives in Trust: The Fortunes of Dynastic Families in Late Twentieth Century America (Westview Press, 1992)
- Editor (with N.J. Demerath III, Rhys H. Williams, and Terry Schmitt), Sacred Companies: Organizational Aspects of Religion and Religious Aspects of Organizations (Oxford University Press, 1998),
- (with K.L.K. Hall) The Lehigh Valley: An Illustrated History (Windsor Publications,1982)
Professional Responsibilities (selected)
- Editorial Board, Nonprofit Management & Leadership, 2003-
- Editor, H-State Listserve (list serv for scholars of civil society and social welfare), 1998-2003
- Editorial Board, H-Disability Listerve (serving historians of disability), 2001-2005
- Association for Research on Nonprofit Organizations and Voluntary Action (ARNOVA): Chair, Annual Book Award Committee, 2003-; Vice-President, Membership & Information, 1995-97; Publications Committee, 1994-97; Program Committee, 1992-94; Annual Conference Chair, 1992;
- Nonprofit & Voluntary Sector Quarterly: Book Review Editor, 1992-99; Guest Editor (with Rhys Williams and Ram Cnaan), Special Issue on Small Religious Organizations, 1994; Guest Editor (with Judith Saidel), Symposium Issue: Papers from the 1992 ARNOVA Conference,1993;
- Contributing Editor, The Philanthropy Monthly, 1989-2000
- Editorial Committee, Philanthropy Classics Reprint Project, 1988-1992
- Editorial Board, History of Higher Education Annual, 1983-2007
- Editorial Board, History of Education Quarterly, 1983-86
Awards and Prizes:
- 2008 ARNOVA Award for Distinguished Achievement and Leadership in Nonprofit and Voluntary Action Research.
- 2003 Grants to support Rights and Responsibilities of Global Citizenship Project, Ford Foundation and Rockefeller Foundation.
- 2003 Grants to support Philanthropy Classics Access Project, an on-line republication initiative, Surdna Foundationand Charles Stewart Mott Foundation.
- 1998 Grants to support Historical Statistics of the United States project from Nonprofit Sector Research Fund of the Aspen Institute, Ford Foundation, and the Institution for Social & Policy Studies, Yale University.
- 1995 Grant to support Documentary History of Philanthropy & Voluntarism Project, Nonprofit Sector Research Fund of the Aspen Institute.
- 1989 Scholar-in-Residence, Rockefeller Archive Center, Rockefeller University.
- 1987 Research Fellowship and Grant-in-Aid, American Council of Learned Societies.
Hall's research has also been supported by grants from the American Can Company, the AT&T, Ellis Phillips, Exxon Education, General Electric, W.K. Kellogg , Walter Teagle foundations, the Lilly Endowment, and the Equitable Life Assurance Society of America.
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Peter Dobkin Hall, accessed September 29, 2009.