In a pro-nuclear background paper published in 2008, Stefan Bakker from the Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands, soberly noted that there is widespread hostility to the construction of new nuclear power stations. "Public perception of nuclear energy is not very positive in many countries. A recent study found that on average in the EU, 61 percent of people think that the share of nuclear energy should be decreased (as it poses safety problems) compared with 30 percent who think it should be increased (as it does not contribute to climate change). On the global level, 59 percent of citizens in 18 countries were not in favour of building new nuclear power plants," he wrote.
Articles and Resources
- American Council on Global Nuclear Competitiveness
- Areva Canada Inc.
- British Nuclear Energy Society
- BWX Technologies Inc.
- Clean and Safe Energy Coalition
- Depleted Uranium
- Duke Energy
- Energy Future Coalition
- Energy Policy Act of 2005
- Environmentalists for Nuclear Energy
- Fresno Nuclear Energy Group LLC
- Global Nuclear Energy Partnership
- global warming
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- Kyoto Protocol
- National debate on nuclear power (UK 2005-2006)
- National Energy Policy
- Nevada Bets against Nuclear Waste
- Nuclear Boosters
- Nuclear is not the answer to global warming
- Nuclear Emergency Support Team
- Nuclear Energy Agency
- Nuclear Energy APPG
- Nuclear Energy Institute
- Nuclear Industry Association
- Nuclear Power and Global Warming
- Nuclear power as an alternative to coal
- Nuclear power in Spain
- Nuclear power plant operators in the United States
- Nuclear Industry PR in Schools
- nuclear weapons / nuclear weapons complex
- Nuking the Messengers
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Patrick Moore on Nuclear Power
- ProActive Communications
- Southern Alliance for Clean Energy
- Starmet Corporation
- Storing Nuclear Waste: the Nukem PR Strategy
- Supporters of Nuclear Energy (SONE)
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- The Economics of Nuclear Power
- United States Enrichment Corporation
- Uranium Mining, Processing and Nuclear Energy Review Taskforce
- U.S. Department of Energy
- Yucca Mountain Project
- Stefan Bakker, Energy Research Centre of the Netherlands (ECN), Breaking the Climate Deadlock: Briefing Paper: Nuclear Power, The Climate Group, 2008.
- Notice of Intent (re GNEP), Federal Register, Vol. 72 No. 2, January 4, 2007 (p. 331ff).
- "Key Facts About Nuclear Energy's Clean-Air Benefits," Nuclear Energy Institute via PRNewswire, January 23, 2007.
Articles & commentary
- Steven E. Barkan, “Strategic, Tactical and Organizational Dilemmas of the Protest Movement Against Nuclear Power,” Social Problems, 27, (1979).
- PRWatch.org articles on nuclear energy
- Mathew L. Wald, "Ex-Environmental Leaders Tout Nuclear Energy", New York Times, April 25, 2006. re Whitman Strategy Group / Christine Todd Whitman
- Scott Rothschild, "Lawmakers to consider bill for building new nuclear plant," Lawrence Journal-World (KS), January 21, 2007.
- Ken Silverstein, "Nuclear Energy's Potential Comeback," EnergyBiz Magazine, January 22, 2007.
- Matthew L. Wald, "Lack of Budget Could Hurt Nuclear Energy Revival, Official Says," New York Times, January 23, 2007.
- Laura MacInnis, "Duke Energy sees nuclear, coal power growth," Reuters, January 24, 2007.
- Niall Green, "European Union announces new energy strategy," WSWS.org, January 24, 2007.
- Mike Stuckey, "Nuclear energy's French connection. Ambitious Areva is second to none at American-style power politics," MSNBC, January 25, 2007.
- "Launch of a Comprehensive Global Energy Strategy Sets out a Blueprint for Tackling Climate Change," Greenpeace (Common Dreams), January 25, 2007.
- Mark Landler, "Nuclear energy is back on Davos agenda," International Herald Tribune, January 26, 2007.
- Scott Rothschild, "Bill would make it easier to expand nuclear energy," Lawrence Journal-World (KS), January 27, 2007.
- Mark Landler, "With Apologies, Nuclear Power Gets a Second Look," New York Times, January 28, 2007.
- Anne Lindsey, "The false promise of nuclear power. Atomic energy is not the way to a clean environment," Winnipeg Free Press (Canada), January 28, 2007.
- "Tennessee Valley Authority to Pursue 2 New Reactors," Associated Press (Washington Post), January 29, 2007.
- Pam Sohn, "Handling nuclear waste. Oak Ridge process offers hope, but some worry about transportation," Chattanooga Times Free Press, January 29, 2007.
- Richard Simon, Nuclear power enters global warming debate; Legislation to cut greenhouse gas emissions creates new alliances and opens old wounds on Capitol Hill, Los Angeles Times, April 9, 2007.
- Associated Press, "Battle shaping up over information in Yucca Mountain database," Las Vegas Sun, August 10, 2007.
- Phoebe Sweet, "Yucca forum gets loud, rude, does little," Las Vegas Sun politics (Nevada newspaper blog), December 5, 2007.
- "Nevada delegation: Yucca conflicts need investigating: Lawmakers push for a closer look into the law firm hired by the DOE for licensing procedure," Nevada Appeal (Carson City, Nevada), December 5, 2007.