"Financier father, Henry Crown (d. 1990), created Material Service with 2 brothers in 1919 after being fired from $4-per-week job. Built into multimillion-dollar business; merged with General Dynamics 1959. Today Lester retains big stake of General Dynamics; stock in Hilton Hotels, Alltel. Also big stake in Maytag, appliance outfit purchased by Whirlpool for $1.7 billion in August. Activist spends free time solving global problems: chairs Chicago Foreign Relations Council, sits on board of Aspen Institute. Competitive edge kept sharp with stakes in baseball's New York Yankees, basketball's Chicago Bulls." 
Lester was a partner with Stephen Philip Cohen (Middle East expert) and Robert Lifton in the New Middle East LLC. Lester was also Co-Chair of the Businessman for Middle East Peace and Development created by Steve Cohen.
- Chair, Chicago Council on Global Affairs 
- Co-Chair, U.S.-Palestinian Partnership 
- International Board, U.S./Middle East Project 
- Advisory Board, Children's Scholarship Fund
- US Director, Jerusalem Foundation
- Former Commissioner, Commission on Private Philanthropy and Public Needs
- Board of Overseers, Henry Crown Fellowship Program 
- "No. 52 Lester Crown & family", Forbes, Accessed December 2006.
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Directors, Chicago Council on Global Affairs, accessed May 12, 2010.
- Board, U.S.-Palestinian Partnership, accessed February 15, 2011.
- International Board, U.S./Middle East Project, accessed October 25, 2009.
- Board of Overseers, Aspen Institute (Henry Crown Fellowship Program), accessed May 12, 2010.