This article is part of the Center for Media & Democracy's spotlight on front groups and corporate spin.
Gerald "Jerry" Mullins of the Washington, D.C. public affairs firm Weber Merritt LLC was listed August 22, 2007, as the contact person for Freedom's Watch, a new White House front group which began "a multimillion-dollar advertising campaign to urge members of Congress who may be wavering in their support for the war in Iraq not to 'cut and run'."
In July 2004, Mullins joined Weber Merritt Strategies, which was acquired by Clark & Weinstock, a unit of Omnicom, in 2003. In September 2005, Mullins (Mullens) was identified as WMS senior vice president.
Mullins worked "four years with the Republican National Committee producing over 2,000 radio and television advertisements as well as hundreds of hours of programming from both the 1996 and 2000 Republican National Conventions. He was also a consultant for the Bush-Cheney 2000 presidential campaign."
From June 15, 2005, through June 28, 2007, Mullins was listed as contact person for the Pentagon Memorial Fund. On April 2, 2006, on October 14, 2006, and again on June 25, 2007, Mullins is listed as the contact person for Airline Ride Across America. On June 22, 2007, Mullins name is also affiliated with the World Trade Center Memorial Foundation.
Mullins, who has "spent his career advising organizations and executing communications initiatives that influence public perception", joined Weber Merritt Strategies in July 2004 "from Oakton Capital Partners, a CFTC-regulated third party marketing firm where he was a founding partner. Prior to this, he was a communications consultant for private, political and business entities including NASCAR, the Movement Disorder Clinic of Johns Hopkins University and best-selling authors. Additionally, he served as director of public relations for USLaw.com and the director of industry relations for TurtleTrader.com."
Resources and articles
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Freedom's Watch Ad Campaign VIDEO," Republican National Convention 2004 Blog, August 22, 2007.
- "New Group, Freedom’s Watch, to Launch Major Advertising Campaign in Support of Victory in Iraq," PRNewswire-USNewswire posted by Gathering of Eagles (Colorado), August 22, 2007.
- "Adelson runs attack ads against Porter," Las Vegas Gleaner, August 22, 2007.
- "Group to Urge War Support," New York Times, August 22, 2007.
- "Weber Merritt Strategies Adds Two Experienced Public Relations Professionals to Roster," USNewswire (HighBeam.com), July 21, 2004.
- "Background," ClarkandWeinstock.com, accessed August 23, 2007.
- "WMS Guides PR for Pentagon Memorial Group," O'Dwyer's Washington Report, September 2, 2005. Subscription required.
- Team Profiles: Jerry Mullins, WeberMerritt.com, cache file accessed August 23, 2007.
- "Maryland Lt. Governor Michael Steele Named GOPAC Chairman," PRNewswire, January 25, 2007.
- "GOPAC Chairman Michael Steele Comments on the Passing of U.S. Senator Craig Thomas," PRNewswire (Forbes), June 5, 2007.
- Press Release: Corporate Team Members, America Supports You, June 15, 2005.
- "Health Net Contributes $250,000 to the Pentagon Memorial Fund; Attend Memorial Groundbreaking," Pentagon Memorial Fund, June 28, 2007.
- "Airline Bike Ride Kicks off today to raise Money and Awareness for 9-11 Memorials," PRNewswire (FindLaw.com), April 2, 2006.
- "Inaugural Bridge To Beach Ride to Raise Funds for 9/11 Memorials Set to Roll Today," PRNewswire (RedOrbit.com), October 14, 2006.
- "Checks Presented to Heads of September 11th Memorials on Capital Hill," Airline Ride Across America (SmartMoney.com), June 25, 2007.
- News Release: "Airline Ride Across America to Present Check to WTC Memorial Foundation on Capitol Hill," World Trade Center Foundation, June 22, 2007.
- Media Inquiries: Jerry Mullins, National Quality Forum, accessed August 23, 2007.
- "Weber Merritt Strategies Adds Two Experienced Public Relations Professionals to Roster," USNewswire, July 21, 2004.