HPV legislation in Vermont
Women in Government Ratings
Women in Government, a non-profit network of state level women legislators, receives significant funding from the pharmaceutical industry, including Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, and Digene Corporation -- all with products related to HPV vaccination and testing. According to their report, "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008" :
Incidence & Mortality (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate: 7.3/100,000 (2/ 1)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate/Race: White: 7.4
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate: 2.5/100,000 (1 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate/Race: White: 2.6
Screening (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate: 87.1% (2 / 2)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate/Race: White: 87.6%
- % Uninsured/Unscreened: 23.9% (1 / 1)
- Medicaid Coverage HPV Testing: Unrestricted (2 / 2)
Healthcare Access (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Rate Uninsured Women: 13% (1 / 1)
- % Low Income/Uninsured Women: 23%
Policy Initiatives and Infrastructure (2008 Score / Cumulative Score (2005–2008)
Screening Requirements (0 / 0)
- There are no new screening requirements.
Task Forces (0 / 2)
- There is no new cervical cancer prevention task force legislation.
Access to HPV Vaccines (1 / 1)
- HB 256/SB 139 would require girls entering 6th grade to show evidence of HPV vaccination or require parents objecting on religious/moral grounds to sign a statement acknowledging receipt of information about connection between HPV and cervical cancer; to House Committee on Human Services/ Senate Committee on Health and Welfare.
HPV Vaccine Information Programs (0 / 0)
- There is no HPV vaccine information activity.
Miscellaneous (0 / 0)
- There is no new miscellaneous cervical cancer prevention activity.
- $2,054,155 was appropriated to the state Department of Health to provide the HPV vaccine for Girls aged nine to 18.
- 2008: Good (12 out of 22 points)
- 2007: Good (10 out of 18 points)
Articles and resources
- Women in Government
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Australia
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Canada
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Europe
- The Marketing of Gardasil in New Zealand
- The Marketing of Gardasil in the United States
- Direct-to-consumer advertising
- Disease Mongering
- Drug industry
- Judith Siers-Poisson, The Politics and PR of Cervical Cancer, a four part series, PRWatch.org, July, 2007.
- "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008", Women in Government