HPV legislation in Arkansas
Women in Government Ratings
Women in Government, a non-profit network of state level women legislators, receives significant funding from the pharmaceutical industry, including Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, and Digene Corporation -- all with products related to HPV vaccination and testing. According to their report, "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008" :
Incidence & Mortality (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate: 9.8/100,000 (1/ 1)
- Cervical Cancer Incidence Rate/Race: White: 10.0 , Black: 10.5
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate: 3.6/100,000 (1 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Mortality Rate/Race: White: 3.3 , Black: 6.5
Screening (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate: 80.5% (0 / 1)
- Cervical Cancer Screening Rate/Race: White: 81.8%, Black: 83.8%
- % Uninsured/Unscreened: 28.7% (1 / 1)
- Medicaid Coverage HPV Testing: Unrestricted (2 / 2)
Healthcare Access (2008 Score / 2007 Score)
- Rate Uninsured Women: 24% (0 / 0)
- % Low Income/Uninsured Women: 42%
Policy Initiatives and Infrastructure (2008 Score / Cumulative Score (2005–2008)
Screening Requirements (0 / 0)
- There are no new screening requirements.
Task Forces (0 / 2)
- There is no new cervical cancer prevention task force legislation.
Access to HPV Vaccines (1 / 1)
- SB 954 would have required the Div. of Health to provide vaccination against HPV to girls 12 and older. The bill was withdrawn.
HPV Vaccine Information Programs (0 / 0)
- There is no HPV vaccine information activity.
Miscellaneous (0 / 2)
- There is no new miscellaneous cervical cancer prevention activity.
- State health officials had hoped to receive $4 million from the Legislature to make the HPV vaccine available to 10,000 girls and teens, but money was not available.
- 2008: Fair (10 out of 22 points)
- 2007: Good (10 out of 18 points)
Articles and resources
- Women in Government
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Australia
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Canada
- The Marketing of Gardasil in Europe
- The Marketing of Gardasil in New Zealand
- The Marketing of Gardasil in the United States
- Direct-to-consumer advertising
- Disease Mongering
- Drug industry
- Judith Siers-Poisson, The Politics and PR of Cervical Cancer, a four part series, PRWatch.org, July, 2007.
- "The 'State' of Cervical Cancer Prevention in America - 2008", Women in Government