Genetically Engineered Wheat
Genetically Engineered Wheat (GE Wheat) is wheat that has had its DNA modified via genetic engineering.
Aphid Resistant Wheat
The Rothamsted Research Institute has developed a type of GE wheat that produces a chemical called (E) beta-farnesene (EBF) to resist aphids. The chemical is naturally occurring in some plants. In June 2011, the company applied to the UK government to run field trials of the crop. If approved, it would be the third GM field trial running in the UK. At the time, no GE crops were grown commercially in the UK.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Herbicide Tolerant Crops
- Genetically Modified Organisms
- GMO Policies by Country
- [Philip Case, "GM wheat trial awaiting government approval," Farmers Weekly Interactive, June 23, 2011, Accessed July 1, 2011.
- Philip Case, "Beddington: GM wheat protests misguided," Farmers Weekly, May 29, 2012.
- Philip Case, "VIDEO: Anti-GM wheat protest thwarted by police," Farmers Weekly, May 28, 2012.
- Adam Vaughan, "GM crop-trial website taken down by cyber-attack," The Guardian, May 28, 2012.
- Natalie Dearman, "Two men arrested during Rothamsted GM protest," The Herts Advertiser, May 28, 2012.
- "GM Protestors' Claims 'Scientifically Inaccurate'," BBC, May 27, 2012.
- Shiv Malik, "Anti-GM protesters kept from tearing up wheat crop by police," The Guardian, May 27, 2012.
- David Shukman, "Fortress security for GM wheat trial," BBC, May 27, 2012.
- David Shukman, "Anti-GM wheat protest halted by police," BBC, May 27, 2012.
- "Scientists insist GM wheat is safe as protesters vow to tear up crop," The Telegraph, May 27, 2012.
- John Timmer, "Activists in UK plan to trash crop experiment," ARSTechnica, May 25, 2012.
- Alison Mann, "GM wheat under saboteur attack," The Scottish Farmer, May 24, 2012.
- Joanna Blythman, "Joanna Blythman: GM crop trials are needless and reckless," Independent, May 24, 2012.
- "Aristocrat old Etonian eco-warrior 'vandalises' controversial GM wheat field trial," Daily Mail, May 22, 2012.
- Gretchen Vogel, "Intruder Arrested at GM Field Trial, Science Insider, May 21, 2012.
- Alistair Driver, "Kendall likens GM activists to 1930s nazis," Farmers Guardian, May 21, 2012.
- Nick Collins, "Vandalism by intruder at GM crop trial not enough to stop experiment," The Telegraph, May 21, 2012.
- "Witless GM Vandalism," Telegraph, May 21, 2012.
- Nick Collins, "Man arrested after break-in at GM wheat trial site," The Telegraph, May 20, 2012.
- Hazel Healy, "Rothamsted GM trial: cow genes on toast, anyone?," New Internationalist, May 18, 2012.
- Daniel Clery and Gretchen Vogel, "Researchers Meet Protesters in TV Debate," Science Insider, May 18, 2012.
- Asa Wahlquist, "Genetically modifying wheat for healthier bread," ABC Rural (Australia), Bush Telegraph, July 1, 2011.
- "Scientists want no human GM wheat trials ," Big Pond News, June 28, 2011.
- Belinda Tasker, "Scientists reject human trials of GM wheat," Sydney Morning Herald, June 27, 2011.
- Heath Aston, "GM wheat trial," Sydney Morning Herald, June 26, 2011.
- "Human trial of GM wheat crop to go ahead," ABC News (Australia), June 25, 2011.
- "Researchers apply for permission for small-scale trial of GM wheat ," Yorkshire Post, June 23, 2011.
- Philip Case, "GM wheat trial awaiting government approval," Farmers Weekly Interactive, June 23, 2011.
- Alistair Driver, "Application submitted for UK GM wheat trial," Farmers Guardian, June 23, 2011.
- B.J. DeFrancesco, "Scientists Create Super Wheat to Fight Food Eating Fungus," Gather, June 12, 2011.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|