Fruits and Vegetables Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee
The Fruits and Vegetables Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee "provides advice and information to the [United States] secretary of Agriculture and the U.S. trade representative on negotiating objectives, positions and other matters related to the development, implementation and administration of U.S. agricultural trade policy." The administration also maintains an Agricultural Policy Advisory Committee and five other Agricultural Technical Advisory Committees (ATACs) that advise on various areas of agriculture: Animals and Animal Products, Grains, Feed, Oilseeds and Planting Seeds, Processed Foods, Sweeteners and Sweetener Products, and Tobacco, Cotton and Peanuts. "Congress established the advisory committee system in 1974 to ensure a private-sector voice in establishing agricultural trade policy objectives to reflect U.S. commercial and economic interests. The Agriculture Department and the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative jointly manage the committees."
Industry Influence and Lobbying
- "The [2011 appointees] list appears to include a broader range of geography and interests than have been on the committees in the past, but also contains the names of many well-known Washington agriculture leaders.
- "None of them are registered lobbyists, according to two sources who were appointed to the committee and a USTR source. The Obama administration has had strict rules forbidding the appointment of lobbyists to most administration posts, and applied those rules to these committees. One appointee told The Hagstrom Report that he had to deregister as a lobbyist. (emphasis added)
- "“Now I have to watch out that my interaction with Congress doesn’t exceed 20 percent of my work time,” he added.
- "Other sources said many of the Washington appointees had risen so high in their organizations that they no longer lobby personally." (emphasis added)
2011 appointees include:
- Julie Adams, Almond Board of California
- Dennis Balint, California Walnut Board
- Barry Bedwell, California Grape and Tree Fruit League
- Susan Brauner, Blue Diamond Growers
- Jon Brekken, Seneca Foods Corporation
- Reginald Brown, Florida Tomato Exchange
- James Cranney, California Citrus Quality Council
- George Davis, Porter Creek Vineyards
- Mathew Harris, Washington State Potato Commission
- John Hoblick, Florida Farm Bureau Federation
- Richard Hudgins, California Canning Peach Association
- Thomas LaFaille, The Wine Institute
- Jeanette Lombardo, Mission Community Bank
- John McClung, Texas Produce Association
- Katherine Means, Produce Marketing Association
- Todd Michael, Michael Farms Inc.
- Mark Murai, California Strawberry Commission
- Joel Nelson, California Citrus Mutual
Articles and resources
- Agricultural Policy Advisory Committee
- Animals and Animal Products Agricultural Trade Advisory Committee
- Grains, Feed, Oilseeds and Planting Seeds Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee
- Processed Foods Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee
- Sweeteners and Sweetener Products Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee
- Tobacco, Cotton and Peanuts Agricultural Technical Advisory Committee
- "USDA, USTR announce ag advisory committee appointments," Hagstrom Report, September 8, 2011, Volume 1, Number 163.