The Charlemagne Institute, formerly Intellectual Takeout, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that states its mission as "to feed minds, foster discussion, and inspire action."  It is an associate member of the State Policy Network (SPN). Intellectual Takeout was cofounded by Devin Foley, former Director of Development at the Center of the American Experiment, and Dwight Tostenson, former Chief Operating Officer at Center of the American Experiment.
Ties to Koch Brothers
Intellectual Takeout has received funding from Donors Capital Fund, a group with strong connections to the Koch brothers. IRS filings show that the Intellectual Takeout is a DonorsTrust and Donors Capital Fund grant recipient, receiving $90,000 from the group in 2010.
Charles Koch is the right-wing billionaire owner of Koch Industries. As one of the richest people in the world, he is a key funder of the right-wing infrastructure, including the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) and the State Policy Network (SPN). In SourceWatch, key articles on Charles Koch and his late brother David include: Koch Brothers, Americans for Prosperity, Stand Together Chamber of Commerce, Stand Together, Koch Family Foundations, Koch Universities, and I360.
Intellectual Takeout maintains a blog on its website and accepts submissions in the following topic areas: "culture, economics, education, history, philosophy, politics, and religion." Intellectual Takeout also runs a second nonprofit with a blog, Better Ed that lists its address as the same as that of Intellectual Takeout.
In addition to receiving $90,000 from Donors Capital Fund in 2010, Intellectual Takeout received $20,000 in 2012 and $50,000 in 2015 from another SPN member: the Adolph Coors Foundation. The WEM Foundation has given the Charlemagne Institute $625,000 (2018-2020)
- Total Revenue: $942,906
- Total Expenses: $964,485
- Net Assets: $392,322
- Total Revenue: $2,246,369
- Total Expenses: $2,018,293
- Net Assets: $413,901
As of August, 2016:
- Devin Foley, Co-founder and President
- Dwight Tostenson, Co-founder and CEO
- Daniel Lattier, Vice President of Better Ed
- Jim Gilbertson, Technology Director
- Annie Holmquist, Research Associate with Better Ed
Board of Directors
As of May 2014:
- Ronald J. Schutz, Chairman
- Thomas Stauber, Vice Chairman
- Mark S. Larson, Secretary
- Russell W Swansen
- Alan J Lanners
- John M Wildern
- Darryle Owens
- Frank P Russomanno
- Marshall Smith
- Dr Peter Wood
- Kari Rominksi
- Mary Moorman
8011 34th Ave S., Ste. C-11
Bloomington, MN 55425
Articles and Resources
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Profile of the Acton Institute at Mediamouse.org
- Jeff Smith, Lord-ing it over others: Local Think Tank Feels Right at Home, The FUNdamentalist, March 1994.
- Jeff Smith, The Acton Institute's War on the Poor, The FUNdamentalist, May 1995.
- Jeff Smith, Local Think Tank Invites Media Pundit, The FUNdamentalist, September 1997.
- Bill Berkowitz, The Interfaith Council for Environmental Stewardship, Z Magazine, July 2000.
- Bill Berkowitz, The Catholic Power Broker, WorkingForChange, May 10, 2001.
- Bill Berkowitz, The Acton Institute, Z Magazine, February 2004.
- Media Mouse, Grand Rapids Think-Tank Brings ExxonMobil Funded Global Warming Skeptic to Town, Mediamouse.org, February 8, 2007.
- Media Mouse, Grand Rapids Acton Speaker: Corporations should not do anything other than Generate Wealth, Mediamouse.org, February 17, 2007.
- Media Mouse, Local Think-Tank Wins Award for "Free Market Solutions to Poverty", Mediamouse.org, April 11, 2007.
- Fred L. Smith, Jr. (of the Competitive Enterprise Institute), "The Irresponsibility of Corporate Social Responsibility," Acton Institute commentary, April 11, 2007.
- Media Mouse, Grand Rapids Think-Tank Receives Additional $50,000 from Exxon-Mobil", Mediamouse.org, May 18, 2007.
- ↑ Intellectual Takeout, About Intellectual Takeout, Intellectual Takeout, 2016.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Better Ed, About Us, Better Ed, 2016.
- ↑ Intellectual Takeout, Submissions Intellectual Takeout, Intellectual Takeout, 2016.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Intellectual Takeout, 2013 IRS 990 Form, Intellectual Takeout, May 9, 2014.
- ↑ Intellectual Takeout, 2012 IRS 990 Form, Intellectual Takeout, August 13, 2013.