Ashoka describes its role as "leading a profound transformation in society. In the past three decades, the global citizen sector, led by social entrepreneurs, has grown exponentially. Just as the business sector experienced a tremendous spurt in productivity over the last century, the citizen sector is experiencing a similar revolution, with the number and sophistication of citizen organizations increasing dramatically."
Ashoka and the Global Water Challenge
In January 2008 Ashoka and the Global Water Challenge announced the launch of "Tapping Local Innovation: Unclogging the Water and Sanitation Crisis, an online collaborative competition to discover and support entrepreneurs large and small who offer groundbreaking approaches to the most pressing water and sanitation challenges." The project, they stated in a media release, was being funded by a $1 million grant from the Coca-Cola Company.
- Bill Drayton, CEO and Chair
- Anamaria Schindler, Co-President
- Diana Wells, Co-President
- Sushmita Ghosh, President Emeritus
- William Drayton, Chair and the CEO
- William Kelly, President - Stewards of Affordable Housing for the Future (SAHF), USA
- C. William Carter, Consultant - USA
- Kyle Zimmer, President - First Books, USA
- Vera Cordeiro, Founder - Association Saude Crianca Renascer, Brazil
- Richard Cavanagh, President and CEO - The Conference Board, USA
- Gloria de Souza, Founder - ParisarAsha, Environmental Education Centre, India
- Fred Hehuwat, Co-Founder - The Green Indonesia Foundation, Indonesia
- Roger Harrison, Newspaper Executive and Journalist, United Kingdom
1700 North Moore Street, Suite 2000 (20th Floor)
Arlington, VA 22209
Email: info AT ashoka.org
Articles and Resources
- Ashoka, "About Us", accessed April 2008.
- "Global Water Challenge and Ashoka's Changemakers Announce Worldwide Search for Social Entrepreneurs with Solutions to Water Challenges", Media Release, January 23, 2008.
- Civic Ventures
- Channel Foundation
- Global Water Challenge
- Michael Northrop - former Executive Director
- Linda Rottenberg
- Carl Munana
- Sue Gillie
- Sarah Dougherty, "Entrepreneurs with ethical fibre", Montreal Gazette, April 26, 2008.