Zinniker Family Farm
Jump to navigation Jump to search
About the Farm
- "The farm consists of 165 acre, with 120 acres tillable land, 10 acres of woods and the remaining in permanent pastures. The Zinniker Family Farm is currently home to approximately 30 Holstein dairy cows, a breeding bull, 20 calves and nearly 250 free-range laying hens. From the very beginning, this farm has been biodynamic, a particular way of organic farming based on the philosophy of Rudolf Steiner. Biodynamics focuses on the farm as a whole organism, in which the farmer takes on the role of guiding the circle of fertility and the animals provide manure for the compost to fertilize the crops grown on the land. The crops then feed the people and animals of the farm in return. Since 2000, the farm has been certified organic by Oregon Tilth (OTCO). While some milk is sold to a large co-op, Zinniker Family Farm also operates a cow share program so that local consumers can receive farm-fresh raw milk weekly. Other products available for sale directly from the farm include free-range eggs, raw honey, pasture-raised beef and handmade milk-based soaps."
- N7399 Bowers Rd.
- Elkhorn, WI, 53121
- Ph: 262-642-5775
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Zinniker Family Farm, Accessed September 10, 2011.
- Fields Neighborhood Eco Homes: Zinniker Family Farm
- Faces of the Farmers: Zinniker, Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund.
- David Gumpert, "State Regulators Can Do No Wrong--WI Judge Rules in Favor of DATCP in Craig and Zinniker Cases As FTCLDF Courtroom Losing Streak Continues," The Complete Patient, September 6, 2011.