Yvette d'Entremont is a blogger and public speaker going by the name of 'SciBabe'. She has a B.A. in theatre, a B.S. in chemistry, and a masters degree in forensic science. Just prior to starting SciBabe, d'Entremont worked for Amvac Chemical Corp, a manufacturer of crop protection technologies, including pesticides and biotechnology. Amvac sells Lorsban marketing it as “the right choice!” in an exclusive agreement with Dow Chemical Company. Amvac also has had an agreement with Monsanto Company to promote Roundup Ready genetically engineered crops.
The SciBabe website was launched in 2014 and reads, "Come for the science, stay for the dirty jokes." In 2015 d'Entremont began working full time as SciBabe after gaining notoriety with an article she wrote entitled "The Food Babe Blogger Is Full of Shit" about Vani Hari, published in Gawker magazine. As SciBabe she has defended DDT  and neonicotinoids, along with regularly promoting GMOs and glyphosate. 
Controversial Stance on Chiropractors
An article by d'Entremont published in 2017, "Chiropractors are bullshit" was followed by an appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast. Both the article and podcast received criticism from chiropractic professionals.   In an article on Medium, a writer who goes by the name "ChiroBabe" posted a satirical response to the SciBabe that stated, "Yvette entitles her latest academic treatise, “Chiropractors are Bullshit,” not to be confused with her other groundbreaking missives: The Incomplete List of Bullshit Websites or the Bullshit Proof Diet (patent pending)."
Promotion of Splenda and Artificial Sweeteners
Yvette d'Entremont also became a Splenda spokesperson in 2017. She writes on the SciBabe website, "I’ve partnered with Splenda to try to combat some of the more pervasive myths about low calorie sweeteners like sucralose that I see every day on social media. Before every single shill accusation shows up, yes, let’s just get this out of the way. Indeed, I’m working with Splenda and these are all things I never would have said otherwise."  In an article at The Outline, SciBabe wrote an extended piece that argued that Diet Coke won't make you gain weight and does not cause metabolic disorders. Nine months later, Yale Cardiologist Harlan Krumholz wrote for the Wall Street Journal that he and his fellow physicians at Yale were swearing off artificial sweeteners because new research found "people who consumed these sweeteners were more likely to have increases in weight and waistline, and a higher incidence of obesity, hypertension, metabolic syndrome, Type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular events."
Jerry Coyne, biologist at the University of Chicago publicly expressed criticism of the SciBabe partnership with Splenda on his personal blog, "this represents a perceived conflict of interest that should not exist in a science popularizer." On several different websites, Splenda promotes Yvette d'Entremont as someone who "busts pseudoscience and myths" on nutrition. 
Ties to Monsanto and Front Groups
As SciBabe, d'Entremont has been a public supporter of Monsanto Company. She once tweeted,"If you claim to be "pro-GMO but anti-@MonsantoCo," you're part of the problem. #GMOs.” On the SciBabe Facebook page, she hosted a live Q&A with Monsanto’s Director of Millennial Engagement, Vance Crowe,  and was a keynote speaker sponsored by Monsanto at the 2016 CropLife America Annual Meeting in New Orleans, LA.
Defense of Pesticides
d'Entremont wrote a blog in early 2021 called "Daily MOS: DDT, Chemical Menace or Savior?" where she claims that the, "criticisms in Silent Spring were overblown..." DDT is the "chemical that saved half a billion lives" and "the world is chemicals, and anyone who tells you otherwise is selling something." John Quiggan wrote about myths surrounding Rachel Carson, Silent Spring and malaria deaths in 2008 tracing the history to Steve Milloy, Junk Science, The Advancement of Sound Science Coalition, and the tobacco industry.
Articles and Resources
- Stacy Malkan "SciBabe says eat your pesticides. But who is paying her?," US Right to Know, May 31, 2018.
- SciBabe "COI - SciBabe SciBabe Website, October 30, 2018.
Related SourceWatch Articles
- Edgy blogger sensation SciBabe takes the lab coat off science, LA Times, April 16, 2015 http://www.latimes.com/local/great-reads/la-me-c1-hip-science-20150416-story.html
- SciBabe says eat your pesticides. But who is paying her?, USRTK website https://usrtk.org/our-investigations/sci-babe-yvette-dentremont/
- SciBabe, website http://scibabe.com/
- About SciBabe, SciBabe website, http://scibabe.com/about-me/
- The "Food Babe" Blogger Is Full of Shit, Gawker http://gawker.com/the-food-babe-blogger-is-full-of-shit-1694902226/
- Response to Gawker “The Food Babe Blogger is Full of…”, Food Babe website https://foodbabe.com/response-to-gawker-the-food-babe-blogger-is-full-of-shit/
- Fake Skeptics Spread Fake News About Rachel Carson, Sick of it All website http://endocriminal.blogspot.com/2017/02/fake-skeptics-spread-fake-news-about.html
- A Skeptic Promotes DDT...Again, Sick of it All website, February 7, 2021, http://endocriminal.blogspot.com/2021/02/a-skeptic-promotes-ddtagain.html
- Sci Babe's BSpocalypse, Sick of it All website http://endocriminal.blogspot.com/2016/04/sci-babes-bspocalypse.html
- SciBabe tackles ten GMO myths, Genetic Literacy Project website https://geneticliteracyproject.org/2016/11/07/scibabe-tackles-ten-gmo-myths/
- 019 The SciBabe Talks Toxins; Your Questions Answered, Talking Biotech Podcast, Oct. 3 2015 http://www.talkingbiotechpodcast.com/019-the-scibabe-talks-toxins-your-questions-answered/
- Chiropracters are bullshit, The Outline website, June 22, 2017 https://theoutline.com/post/1617/chiropractors-are-bullshit?zd=1&zi=2jbrrqg3
- JRE #984 - Yvette d’Entremont http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/yvette-dentremont
- Responding to SciBabe’s Article on the Chiropractic Profession, Dr. Michael Braccio, website, July 23, 2017 http://michaelbraccio.com/responding-to-scibabes-article-on-the-chiropractic-profession/
- Ep 548 1/2 Bonus Episode – Mind Pump Response to Joe Rogan Ep. 984, Mind Pump Media, website https://www.mindpumpmedia.com/p/ep-548-2-Mind-Pump-Response-to-Joe-Rogan
- The SciBabe is Neither Scientist Nor Babe: She’s Bullshit, Medium website, July 4, 2017 https://medium.com/@chirobabe/the-science-babe-is-neither-scientist-nor-babe-shes-bullshit-89eba206cd9
- The Sweeter Things in Life: Debunking the Junk about Splenda, SciBabe website http://scibabe.com/debunkthejunk/
- Diet Coke is not killing you, The Outline, by Yvette d’Entremont https://theoutline.com/post/842/diet-coke-is-not-killing-you?zd=1&zi=mdw4lz7x
- Why One Cardiologist Has Drunk His Last Diet Soda, Wall Street Journal, September 14, 2017 https://blogs.wsj.com/experts/2017/09/14/why-one-cardiologist-has-drunk-his-last-diet-soda/
- SciBabe, paid by Splenda, touts its product, Why Evolution is True https://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2018/01/06/scibabe-paid-by-splenda-touts-its-product/
- SciBabe Debunks the Junk, Splenda website, https://www.splendaenespanol.com/debunk-the-junk/influencers
- Debunk the Junk, Splenda website, https://blog.splenda.com/debunk-junk#sthash.2s4eOeT7.dpbs
- Yvette, @TheSciBabe on Twitter, https://twitter.com/TheSciBabe/status/623984403190943744
- SciBabe on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/scibabe/videos/803097153160395/
- CLA 2016 Annual Meeting: September 25 – 28, 2016 New Orleans, CropLife America website http://191hmt1pr08amfq62276etw2.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/2016-CropLife-America-Sponsorships-08.04.16.pdf
- Independent Women's Forum podcast, #69 Food and Fear: How Monsanto is Vilified by Activists, https://soundcloud.com/independent-womens-forum/69-food-and-fear-how-monsanto-is-vilified-by-activists
- SciBabe website, January 31, 2021, Daily MOS: DDT, Chemical Menace or Savior?, http://web.archive.org/web/20210221072414/https://scibabe.com/daily-mos-ddt-chemical-menace-or-savior/
- Prospect Magazine, May 24, 2008, Rehabilitating Carson, https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/rehabilitatingcarson#.U6aVArGsjSg