|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Australia and coal|
Existing coal mines
- owns and operates the Curragh mine in Queensland’s Bowen Basin; and
- has a 40 per cent interest in the Bengalla mine in the Hunter Valley in New South Wales.
In January 2014 Wesfarmers Resources announced that it had bought a mineral development licence located between and adjacent to the Wesfarmers Resources’ Curragh and Curragh North mining leases from a subsidiary of Peabody Energy for $A70 million. Wesfarmers Resources stated that Mineral Development Licence 162 -- MDL 162 as it refers to it -- as containing 67 million tonnes of coal reserves and with a a total coal resource of 255 million tonnes.
In late September 2011 Wesfarmers Resources announced that it had agreed to sell its Premier mine and char businesses in Western Australia to a wholly owned subsidiary of Yancoal Australia Limited (Yancoal) for $296.8 million. Yancoal Australia is a subsidiary of China-based Yanzhou Coal. 
Wesfarmers Resources Limited
Level 31, Central Plaza One
345 Queen Street
Telephone: (61 7) 3031 7777
Facsimile: (61 7) 3229 7402
Contact us: reception AT wesresources.com.au
Articles and resources
- Wesfarmers Resources, "Our Mining Operations", Wesfarmers Resources website, accessed March 2013.
- Wesfarmers Resources, "Curragh acquires additional coal reserves", Media Release, January 20, 2014.
- Wesfarmers Resources, "Agreement to Sell Premier Coal", Media Release, September 27, 2010.
- Yvonne Lee, "Yanzhou Coal Agrees To Buy Two Coal Firms From Wesfarmers For A$296.8 Million" Fox Business, September 27, 2011.