The Washington Examiner is a free daily newspaper published in Alexandria, Virginia, and distributed around Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Maryland, and their suburbs.
The newspaper was formerly distributed only in the suburbs of Washington, under the titles of Montgomery Journal, Prince George's Journal, and Northern Virginia Journal. Their parent company, Journal Newspapers Inc., was purchased by Philip F. Anschutz's Clarity Media Group in October 2004. On February 1, 2005, the paper's name changed to the Washington Examiner, and it adopted a logo and format similar to that of another newspaper owned by Anschutz, the San Francisco Examiner.
The Examiner's editorial page is heavily conservative; it is headed by Mark Tapscott, with American Spectator senior editor Quin Hillyer serving as its associate editor. The paper's national political coverage, which also appears in Examiner papers in Baltimore and San Francisco, was previously headed by Bill Sammon, a former Washington Times reporter who has written several books praising George W. Bush. (Sammon is now the deputy managing editor for Fox News Channel's Washington bureau.) Chris Stirewalt, who has been described as "a true conservative voice", is the Examiner's political editor. Mary Katherine Ham, former managing editor of the conservative Townhall.com, briefly served as the Examiner's online editor for a few months in 2008  before joining the Weekly Standard. Matthew Sheffield, executive editor of the Media Research Center blog NewsBusters, is in charge of the Examiner's website. Byron York, formerly of National Review, joined the paper in February 2009.
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- "Changes To FNC's DC Bureau," TV Newser, August 5, 2008.
- "Stirewalt will be missed", Change West Virginia blog, October 18, 2007.
- "MKH Relocation Efforts Underway", Mary Katherine Ham's blog, Townhall.com, May 23, 2008.
- "Exodus from the Examiner?" Robert Stacy McCain, The Other McCain, September 24, 2008.
- "Teaming Up With the Washington Examiner," NewsBusters, October 29, 2008.
- "Byron York joins Examiner as chief political correspondent," Washington Examiner, February 3, 2009.
- "Right-wing slant for free in DC's new daily paper, the Washington Examiner", Media Matters for America, February 2, 2005.
- Terry Krepel, "Right-Wing Tilt Drives Washington Examiner," Huffington Post, April 25, 2009.
- Dirk Smillie, "The Stealth Media Mogul: Billionaire Philip Anschutz is quietly building a small empire of social-networking sites, newspapers and now a leading conservative weekly," Forbes.com, June 29, 2009.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|