Thomas Berry (1914-2009) was a Passionist priest, cultural historian, social critic, and one of the leading environmental thinkers of our time. "Berry was president of the American Teilhard Association and is indebted to the thought of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin for helping shape his own understanding of the universe story."  He "received his Ph.D. from The Catholic University of America in European intellectual history. Widely read in Western history and theology, he spent many years studying and teaching the cultures and religions of Asia. He served as founder and director (1970–1995) of the Riverdale Center for Religious Research along the Hudson River and as Professor of Religion at Fordham University where he founded and directed a graduate program in the History of World Religions. He has also taught and traveled extensively in China and Asia. His published works include: Religions of India: Hinduism, Yoga, and Buddhism (Columbia University Press, 1996, c1971), Buddhism (Columbia University Press, 1967), and a number of books regarding environmental issues, including: The Great Work: Our Way into the Third Millennium (Belltower/Random House, 1999), The Dream of the Earth (Sierra Club Books, 1988), and, with Brian Swimme, The Universe Story (HarperSanFrancisco, 1992). He is currently working on a manuscript entitled, A World of Wonder." 
- Cofounder, Thomas Berry Foundation
- Steering Committee, Forum on Religion and Ecology
- Patron, Gaia Foundation
- Advisory Board (US), Sacred Earth Network
- Advisory Board, E. F. Schumacher Society
- Club of Budapest: Members
- Global Council on Spirituality & Deep Ecology, World Commission on Global Consciousness and Spirituality
- Council of Trustees, Temple of Understanding 
- Award Winner from the Temple of Understanding
- Council of Sages, California Institute of Integral Studies 
- Passionist Earth & Spirit Center
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Deep Ecology
- Neal Rogin
- Carolyn Toben, Recovering A Sense of the Sacred: Conversations with Thomas Berry
- The Bridge (US)
- Bill Plotkin wrote foreword
- Passionist Earth & Spirit Center About, organizational web page, accessed June 3, 2013.
- Thomas Berry, Forum on Religion and Ecology, accessed January 9, 2009.
- Temple of Understanding Council of Trustees, organizational web page, accessed May 16, 2012.
- Trustees, California Institute of Integral Studies, accessed October 30, 2011.