Thomas A. Dine
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Thomas A. Dine is chief executive officer of the Jewish Community Federation of San Francisco since 2005. He was the President of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL) (1997-2005).
- Achievements, Responsibilities: In the 1970s he worked in the U.S. Senate and the American Embassies in New Delhi, India, and as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Philippines; 1980-1993 he headed the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC); 1993-1996 Served as Assistant Administrator for Europe and the New Independent States for USAID; President of RFE/RL since 1997, president of the San Francisco Jewish Council (2005) .
- "Because money for Israel originates in Senate and House foreign affairs committees, AIPAC has long ago insured that each and every member of these committees is unconditionally loyal to Israel. Beyond this, AIPAC insures that every other member of Congress consistently votes and speaks out for Israel; that AIPAC's candidate is selected for every "interesting" assignment. In 1983, Secretary of State George Schultz appointed the head of AIPAC himself, Thomas A. Dine, to a blue ribbon panel of prominent citizens to recommend changes in the foreign aid program. Dine was the only lobbyist on this panel composed of 27 Senators and Representatives, a fact that made Senator James Abourezk remark "It would make as much sense to let the president of Lockheed Corporation serve on a Defense Department board which decides what planes our air force will buy" (Paul Findley, pp. 31).
- – Michael Poulin, The Lobby, June 1989.
- 1970 to 1974: Dine served as Senator Frank Church's legislative assistant for foreign affairs
- 1973 to 1974: U.S. Senate Special Committee on National Emergencies and Delegated Powers 
- 1975 to 1978: Dine served as head of the Senate Budget Committee's national security staff
- 1979-1980: Served as advisor to Senator Edmund S. Muskie on nuclear weapons policy and the SALT treaty, and defense and foreign policy advisor to Senator Edward M. Kennedy.
- Jewish Community Federation of San Francisco, Chief Executive Officer (2005- )
- Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty President (1997-2005)
- AIPAC former President (1980-1993)
- Committee for the Liberation of Iraq
- Brookings Institution – 1979 Senior Fellow, Washington 
- Council on Foreign Relations – since 1974 
- Leadership Group, U.S.-Muslim Engagement Project 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- ↑ "Dine Departs as RFE/RL Head, Trimble Named Acting President", Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, November 8, 2005.
- ↑ Leadership Group, U.S.-Muslim Engagement Project, accessed January 2, 2009.
- Joe Eskenazi, "A man of the world: From AIPAC to Radio Free Europe to San Francisco JCF", Jewish News Weekly, July 29, 2005