Sumsel-10 power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Sumsel (SS-10) power station (short for Sumatera Selatan-10, or South Sumatra-10) is a proposed 600-megawatt (MW) mine-mouth coal-fired station in South Sumatra Province, Indonesia.
The map below shows the location of South Sumatra Province, the approximate location where the project would be located.
Background on Plant
PLN is currently planning to build a two-unit, mine-mouth coal-fired power plant with a total planned capacity of 600 MW in South Sumatra Province. The plant has also been described as one-unit 600 MW.
As of January 2015, PLN was still working on signing tender contracts with coal suppliers for this plant and Sumsel-9. PLN has been criticized for the way that it has run this tender process. In February 2015, the Indonesian government allocated 70 trillion Rupiah (about $1.1 billion) in funds for this project and Sumsel-9. The precise site of Sumsel-10 is still unclear.
According to the PLN 2017-2026 long range plan, Sumsel-10 and Sumsel-9 need to be reassessed due to the shelving of the Java-Sumatra HVDC Interconnection System. They will be included in the power balance of the Sumatra system, but their implementation will have to wait for the readiness of the Sumatra system to receive plants of a larger scale.
In February 2018 PT Bukit Asam stated that it was interested in participating in an auction for Sumsel-10 and Sumsel-9 but that it did not know when an auction would occur.
The PLN 2018-2027 plan does not show this project.
- Sponsor: TBD
- Location: South Sumatra Province, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -2.75, 103.833333 (approximate)
- Status: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 600 MW (Units 1 & 2: 300 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: 2020
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source: Mine-mouth
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- “PLN Long Term Electricity Plan (2013-2023),” presentation by Moch. Sofyan, Head of New & Renewable Division of PT PLN (Persero), 06 March 2014
- Augustine Beo Da Costa, "PLTU Sumsel 9 & 10 ditenderkan Mei 2015," Kontan, April 14, 2015
- PLN Gandeng HSBC Kaji Proyek PLTU Mulut Tambang Sumsel 9 dan Sumsel 10, PLN press release, 24 July 2012.
- Pratama Guitarra, PLN: Proyek PLTU Sumsel 9 & 10 bisa tunjuk langsung, Kontan, 22 Jan. 2015.
- Rina Anggraeni, PLN Lupakan Proyek PLTU Mulut Tambang, Inilahcom, 15 Sept. 2014.
- PLTU, Rp 70 Triliun Ngalir ke Muaraenim, RadarPena, 14 Feb. 2015.
- "IEEFA Asia: Rosy Prospects in Indonesian Coal?," IEEFA, Nov 17, 2016
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2017-2026, PT PLN Persero, p. VI-11
- Bukit Asam tunggu tender PLTU Sumsel 9 dan Sumsel 10, Kontan, Feb. 26, 2018
- Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik (RUPTL) 2018-2027, PT PLN Persero
- "Executive Summary: Electricity Supply Business Plan, PT PLN (Persero) 2015-2014,"
- “Rencana Usaha Penyediaan Tenaga Listrik, PT PLN (Persero), 2016-2025,” Kementerian Energi Dan Sumber Daya Mineral, June 2016