"Professor Sir Robert Burgess is Vice-Chancellor of the University of Leicester (a post he has held for twelve years) and Chair of the Higher Education Academy, the Research Information Network, the UUK/Guild HE Teacher Education Advisory Group, the Learning Records Service HE Group and Chair of NatCen Social Research. He is an Academician of the Academy of the Social Sciences. He is currently Chairing the UUK/Guild HE Implementation Group on the Higher Education Achievement Report and Degree Classifications on which he has produced three reports.
"He has held national roles in a range of major organisations including: President of the British Sociological Association, President of the Association for the Teaching of the Social Sciences and Founding Chair of the UK Council for Graduate Education. He has been a member of the Council of the Economic and Social Research Council and a member of the British Library Board. He has been Chair of the Postgraduate Training Board of the Economic and Social Research Council and Chair of the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS). He has also been Chair of the East Midlands Universities Association and Honorary Secretary of the Society for Research in Higher Education.
"He was previously Senior Pro‑Vice‑Chancellor, Director of CEDAR (Centre for Educational Development, Appraisal and Research) and Professor of Sociology at the University of Warwick." 
Sir Robert was educated at the University of Durham. He was knighted for services to local and national Higher Education in the New Year's Honours 2010.
In September 201o it was reported that Sir Robert Burgess, "tops the public sector rich list with a £245,000 package in the past financial year." 
In February 2012 it was reported that Sir Robert Burgess was to be honoured with a Lifetime Contribution with the Midlands Business Award. "The Midlands Business Awards recognise outstanding contributions to business, industry and society. Previous winners are Lord Digby Jones; Geoffrey Robinson MP and Lord Bhattacharyya, head of the Warwick Manufacturing Group." 
- Electra Siafakas, "Turbulent Flight: Protesters gatecrash VC speech at sculpture showing", The Tab, February 10, 2014.
Resources and articles
- University of Leicester Robert Burgess, organizational web page, accessed September 20, 2012.
- thisisleicestershire More than 480 public servants in Leicestershire earn £100,000-plus, organizational web page, accessed October 11, 2012.
- University of Leicester University of Leicester Vice-Chancellor to receive lifetime contribution to business award, organizational web page, accessed October 11, 2012.
- Children's Cancer and Leukaemia Group Patrons, organizational web page, accessed September 20, 2012.