Sima Samar, Chairperson - Commissioner of the Afghan Independent Human Rights Commission.
"Dr. Sima Samar is a well known woman’s and human rights advocate and activist within national and international forums. Since 1994, Dr. Samar has received various international awards on women’s rights, human rights, democracy, and women for peace. Dr. Samar served as the first Deputy Chair and Minister of Women’s Affairs in the Interim Administration of Afghanistan. Before chairing the Commission, she was elected as the Vice Chair of the Emergency Loya Jirga. She was appointed as the Chair of the AIHRC by Mr. Karzai, Chairman of the Afghan Interim Administration." 
- Honorary 25th Anniversary Committee, Global Rights
- 2002 Honoree, Human Rights First: Human Rights Awards Dinner
- International Board, International Centre for Democratic Transition (accessed Sept 07)
- Special Mandate Holder (Sudan), United Nations Human Rights Commission 
Resources and articles
- Strategic Management Plan 2008-2009, United Nations Human Rights Commission, accessed April 9, 2009.