|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
Seival mine or Seival Sul Mineração (SSM) is a coal mine in Candiota, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
The map below shows the approximate of Seival Mine, located in the southernmost state of Brazil, Rio Grande do Sul. The mining area is in the municipality of Candiota, located about 60 km north of the border with Uruguay.
Seival Sul Mineração is the owner of the Seival Mine project."
Prior to 2014, Seival Sul Mineração was 70% owned by Enerva (formerly known as MPX Energia SA) with 30% stake in the project is held by Copelmi. At that time, the company stated that "as proven reserves of 152 million tons of coal, which is more than sufficient to supply a 600 MW thermal plant for 20 years. The project has already been granted an operational license. Coal from the Seival Mine will be used to supply the MPX Sul TPP project and can also be sold in the region". In October of 2014, MPX and Copelmi entered a memorandum of understanding (MOU) that the stakes were to be flipped: "Upon completion of the Transaction, Copelmi and ENEVA shall each hold, in the SSM, 70% and 30% of the shares, respectively."
The MOU states "the Seival Mine, located in Candiota/RS, holds resources of more than 450 million tons of coal and, due to its location, stands as a potential and strategic supplier of coal to Sul and Seival thermoelectric plant projects."
In 2019, Enerva sold it's remaining 30% ownership to Copelmi.
- Owner: Seival Sul Mineração S.A.
- Parent company: Copelmi Mineração
- Location: Candiota, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil
- GPS coordinates: -31.464065, -53.733929
- Mine status: Operating
- Start year: 2018
- Mineable reserves: 450 million tons
- Coal type:
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Surface (open-pit)
- Production: 2.8 million tons per annum
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- Eneva Memorandum of Understanding entered into with Copelmi for purchasing mining rights of the Seival Mine Corporate document, via India documents, published Oct. 10 2014, accessed Nov. 12, 2019
- Eneva Sale of equity interest in Seival Sul Mineração S.A notice to the market, Feb 25, 2019
- Seival Sul Mineração http://www.seivalsul.com.br/#quem-somos organizational site, accessed Nov. 12, 2019
- Reuters Enerva Reuters Nov. 2019
- MPX "MPX Portfolio", MPX website, accessed February 2011.
- Enerva Sale of equity interest in Seival Sul Mineração S.A. ENEVA S.A, Feb 25, 2019
- Silvana antunesMina edo sevial, em candiota, e uma das mais modernas do mundo Tribuna Adopampa Oct. 21, 2018
- BnAmericas Construction at Brazil's largest coal mine set to start in May BN Americas, March 22, 2016