Seagate Technology, based in Scotts Valley, California, U.S., is a large maker of hard drives for computers ranging from personal computers to high-end servers and mainframes. Most of its sales are to computer manufacturers such as Hewlett-Packard, Dell, IBM, and Sun Microsystems.
PR and advertising
The Society for New Communications Research gave two awards to Seagate Technology for Seagate's PR and advertising activities. The awards, announced November 1, 2006, are for the use of social media such as blogs, wikis, podcasts, and other forms of participatory communications for public relations, advertising, and politics.
Seagate has an active listening program which closely monitors and measures online discussions to know what customers are thinking and then to know how to influence perceptions of the company. "Multiple departments within Seagate benefit from the intelligence gathered from online communities. The collective feedback helps shape future communications, campaigns, product introductions and customer care programs." For a particular product, the company wanted to "maximize the volume and quality of media coverage and online buzz". An elaborate series of launch stategies and tactics were used that made use of new media tools "to seed campaign messaging and product information", a company media release on the awards stated.
|Key executives and 2007 pay: ||Options
|Stephen J. Luczo, Chairman||N/A||N/A|
|William D. Watkins, Chief Executive Officer||$1,000,000||$6,850,000|
|David A. Wickersham, Chief Operating Officer||$744,000||$2,060,000|
|Charles C. Pope, Chief Financial Officer||$700,000||$4,800,000|
|James M. Chirico, Jr., Executive Vice President of Disc Storage Operations||$500,000||$8,330,000|
Accessed August 2008: 
- Stephen J. Luczo - Chairman of the Board
- William D. Watkins - Director
- Frank J. Biondi, Jr. - Director
- Bill Bradley - Director
- Donald E. Kiernan - Director and Chair of Audit Committee
- David F. Marquardt - Director
- Lydia Marshall - Director, and Chair of the Nominating and Corporate Governance Committee
- C. S. Park - Director
- Gregorio Reyes - Director
- John W. Thompson - Director
920 Disc Drive
Scotts Valley, CA 95066
- Seagate Technology Profile, Hoovers, accessed December 2007.
- Press Release "Seagate Wins Two New Media Awards from the Society for New Communications Research", Seagate Technology, November 13, 2006.
- Seagate Technology lobbying expenses, Open Secrets, accessed December 2007.
- Seagate Technology Key Executives, Yahoo Finance, accessed December 2007.
- Directors, Seagate Technology, accessed August 28, 2008.