"J.I. Rodale, who founded Rodale Inc. in 1930, knew that there was a direct relationship between the declining health of America's soil and the health of America's people, a revolutionary view in those days.
"In 1942, he started Organic Farming and Gardening magazine, today known as Organic Gardening, which taught people how to grow better food by cultivating healthier soil using natural techniques... Following J.I.'s death in 1971, his son Bob, who had been president since 1951, took over the leadership of the company. During his tenure, Rodale consistently published highly acclaimed books on gardening, health, home improvement, and fitness... Under Bob’s visionary guidance, the company explored opportunities to expand in multiple areas, including internationally. On September 20, 1990, Bob Rodale was tragically killed in a traffic accident in Russia, where he was developing plans for a long-term joint venture agreement. Upon Bob's death, his wife Ardie became the company’s Chief Executive Officer/Chairman of the Board.
"In 2000, Steve Murphy joined the company as President and Chief Operating Officer, and was named President and CEO in 2002. Maria Rodale, the daughter of Bob and Ardie Rodale, was elected Chairman of the Board in 2007, and was named Chief Executive Officer in September 2009, succeeding Steve Murphy. Ardie Rodale served as the company's Chief Inspiration Officer until her passing in December 2009.
"Today, privately held Rodale is the world’s leading health and wellness content company, with print, digital, and video properties that resonate with millions of customers around the world. It is home to some of the most successful and well-regarded health and wellness brands, including Men's Health, Prevention, Runner's World, Women's Health, Bicycling, Organic Gardening and Running Times. Rodale also maintains its tradition of publishing bestselling diet, fitness, nutrition, health, wellness, science, and lifestyle books, from the South Beach Diet series to Vice President Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth to Eat This Not That! and Flat Belly Diet! The company is also a leader in direct-response marketing and has more than 27 million active customers in its database."
- Jeff Moyer, Executive Director (2018)
Accessed July 2018: 
- Maya Rodale, co-chairman
- Paul A. McGinley, co-chairman
- Anthony Rodale, chairman emeritus
- Ardath H. Rodale, co-chairman emeritus in memoriam
- Drew Becher
- Corby Kummer
- Elizabeth Kucinich
- Roberta Lang
- Grant Lundberg
- Helen Piszek Nelson
- Maria Rodale
- Peter Sherman
Accessed September 2012: 
- Maria Rodale, Chairman & Chief Executive Officer
- Heather Rodale, Rodale Board Member & Vice President, Leadership Development, Rodale Inc.
- Anthony Rodale, Rodale Board Member
- Heidi Rodale, Rodale Board Member & Development Editor, Rodale Books
- Fabiola Arredondo, Rodale Board Member & Managing Partner of Siempre Holdings
- William F. Baker, Rodale Board Member & President Emeritus, Thirteen/WNET New York
- Ardath Rodale, CEO and Chief Inspiration Officer October 1928-December 2009
Resources and articles
- Rodale History, organizational web page, accessed September 24, 2012.
- businesswire The Rodale Institute Names Mark Smallwood Executive Director, organizational web page, accessed February 21, 2013.
- Rodale Board, organizational web page, accessed July 15, 2018.
- Rodale Board, organizational web page, accessed September 24, 2012.