Center for Effective Government
The Center for Effective Government (formerly known as the "OMB Watch") was formed in 1983 and is based in Washington D.C. According to their website, the organization aims to "Build an open, accountable government that invests in the common good, protects people and the environment, and advances the national priorities defined by an active, informed citizenry." To pursue these goals, The Center for Effective Government outlines a two-pronged approach:
1) "Enhance public understanding and appreciation of what government does and how it operates in all of our communications."
2) "Protect core governing processes from undue influence by special interests, through analysis, advocacy, and strategic"partnerships inside and outside of Washington."
Board of Directors
As of April 2013:
• Paul Marchand (Chair)
• Edwin S. Jayne (Vice-Chair and Secretary), AFSCME
• Robert Lawrence (Treasurer)
• Julio Abreu, Mental Health America
• Nancy Amidei, University of Washington School of Social Work
• Ross Eisenbrey, Economic Policy Institute
• Phaedra Ellis-Lamkins, Green For All
• Pamela Gilbert, Cuneo Gilbert & LaDuca, LLP
• Edward Hailes, Jr., Advancement Project
• Sylvia Johnson, United Auto Workers
• Mary M. Lassen, Center for Community Change
• Katherine McFate, Center for Effective Government
• Linda Nguyen, Alliance for Children and Families
• Margaret Seminario, AFL-CIO
• Dianne Stewart, Public Works
The Center for Effective Government's work is currently supported by the following foundations and organizations (2013):
- Bauman Foundation
- CS Fund
- Ford Foundation
- The Stewart R. Mott Foundation
- Open Society Institute
- Public Welfare Foundation
- Rita Allen Foundation
- Rockefeller Brothers Fund
- The Scherman Foundation
- Other Anonymous Funders
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- About Us, The Center for Effective Government, accessed April 22, 2013.
- Our Staff and Board, The Center for Effective Government, accessed April 22, 2013.
- Our Funders, The Center for Effective Government, accessed April 22, 2013.
- Contact, The Center for Effective Government, accessed April 22, 2013.