Modernization is a doublespeak term used by conservatives and neo-liberals as a euphemism for any of the following:
- Privatization - examples are
- NHS 'modernisation' (UK) - a euphemism for the stealth privatization of Britain's National Health Service.
- Coalition for the Modernization and Protection of America's Social Security - a business-sponsored group advocating U.S. Social Security privatization.
- Deregulation - examples are
- The UK Gambling Bill 2004-2005, which was described by Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell as "the modernisation of what are widely recognised as outdated gambling laws" . In reality, the Gambling Bill removes the statutory 24 hour "cooling-off" period for new casino members, and removes legal restrictions on where casinos can be built .