Mad Cow Canada
Also see Mad Cow USA.
The following are links regarding Mad Cow Canada, Canada's mad cow disease outbreak in May 2003:
- 2 April 2001: "How BSE Went Mad" by LeRoy D. Olson, DVM, PhD, BEEF. "A first-person chronicle of the development and mishandling of the BSE crisis."
- June 2002: "First report of a Canadian death of Mad Cow disease."
- 9 August 2002: "Canadian man dies from variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease" from CBCNews.
- 9 August 2002: "'Mad Cow' Strain Kills Man," Canadian Health Coalition, Toronto Star.
- 2 December 2002: "vCJD screening may be years away, warns scientist" by James Meikle, Guardian UK.
- 20 May 2003: USDA Statement on BSE in Canada.
- 20 May 2003: "Mad Cow: The Science and the Story. Should Canada worry?" by Amy Foulkes, CBC News Online.
- 20 May 2003: "Mad Cow: The Science and the Story. Timeline of BSE in Canada" by Owen Wood, CBC News Online.
- 20 May 2003: "Canada Identifies BSE in Domestic Herd", Organic Consumers Association.
- 21 May 2003: "Case of Mad Cow in Canada Prompts U.S. to Ban Its Beef" by Clifford Krauss with Sandra Blakeslee, The New York Times.
- 21 May 2003: "Mad Cow Case Raises Worries in United States" by Sherri Day, The New York Times.
- 21 May 2003: "U.S. Blocks Canadian Beef Due to Mad Cow" by Lauran Neergard, AP.
- 21 May 2003: "Red Cross sets tougher blood donor criteria", CNN.com: "...The American Red Cross is implementing tighter restrictions on who can donate blood, in an effort to keep the U.S. blood supply free of the human form of mad cow disease."
- 21 May 2003: "Mad cow spurs U.S. to ban Canadian beef" by Greg Burns, Chicago Tribune: "...concerns are being raised about why Canada took more than three months to obtain test results, and whether the cow, which was sickly and emaciated, nevertheless entered the food chain as livestock feed."
- 21 May 2003: "Canada Steps Up BSE Probe" by Jeffrey Jones, Reuters.
- 21 May 2003: "U.S. Takes Another Look for Mad Cow Risk" by Randy Fabi, ABCNews.com.
- 21 May 2003: "South Dakota ag experts keeping close eye for mad cow," APWire.
- 22 May 2003: "Mad cow in Canada puts NZ deals at risk" by Liam Dann, The New Zealand Herald.
- 22 May 2003: "Japan, U.S. ban beef from Canada after BSE report" by Yomiuri Shimbun, Daily Yomiuri Online.
- 22 May 2003: "Mad Cow Disease in Canada and Piemontese Cows in Italy," Here & Now.
- 22 May 2003: "Canadian Herds Quarantined Due to Mad Cow" by Tom Cohen, AP.
- 22 May 2003: "Mad-cow fears ripple despite official precautions. Ban on Canadian beef imports prompts concern of overreaction by ranchers and others in industry" by Abraham McLaughlin and Amanda Paulson, The Christian Science Monitor.
- 22 May 2003: "Canada Expands Frantic Search for Mad Cow Cases" by Jeffrey Jones, Reuters.
- 22 May 2003: "Mad-cow panic more harmful than disease itself" by Michael Den Tandt, The Globe and Mail.
- 22 May 2003: "Mad cow disease lesson in food safety" by Seattle Post-Intelligencer Editorial Board.
- 23 May 2003: "Canada tries to track sources of SARS, mad cow", AFP.
- 24 May 2003: "Officials Look at Feed in Mad Cow Case" by Tim Cohen, AP.