Lord Chris Patten "was born in 1944 and educated at St Benedict’s School, Ealing and Balliol College, Oxford. Before becoming director of the Conservative Party’s Research Department (1974-79) he was political secretary to Lord Whitelaw and Lord Carrington and civil servant in the Cabinet Office. He was a member of parliament from 1979 to 1992 and a minister from 1983 to 1992. Lord Patten was Parliamentary Secretary at the Northern Ireland Office, Minister of State at the Department of Education, Minister for Overseas Development, Secretary of State for the Environment, Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster and Chairman of the Conservative Party.
"From 1992-1997 Lord Patten was Governor of Hong Kong and from 1998-99 he was chairman of the Independent Commission on Policing in Northern Ireland. He was EU External Relations Commissioner from 1999-2004.
"Lord Patten became Privy Councillor in 1989, a Companion of Honour in 1998, and was recently made a life peer. He took his seat in the House of Lords in January 2005.
"He has written “The Tory Case”, the best-selling “East and West” and “Not Quite the Diplomat” (published as “Cousins and Strangers” in North America).
- Chair, BBC 
- Former Chair, 21st Century Trust 
- Founding Council Member, European Council on Foreign Relations 
- Editorial Advisory Board, Chinadialogue.net 
- European Advisory Board, Bridgepoint Capital 
- Member, Global Leadership Foundation
- Patron, European Movement 
- Former Patron, Centre for Global Studies
- Advisory board, Seamwell International 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Tory Reform Group
- International Conference on Civil Resistance and Power Politics - Panelist
- John Ashton - former advisor
- Chris Patten, International Crisis Group, accessed April 7, 2009.
- BBC Truste, organizational web page, accessed March 24, 2012.
- 21st Century Trust cached page 2010) Patron, Trustees, and Advisers, organizational web page, accessed April 12, 2012.
- Council, European Council on Foreign Relations, accessed February 3, 2008.
- About, Chinadialogue.net, accessed November 22, 2010.
- Bridgepoint Capital European Advisory Board, organizational web page, accessed August 3, 2012.
- European Movement Patrons, organizational web page, accessed April 18, 2012.
- Advisory Board, Seamwell International, accessed May 27, 2015.