Karvina coal mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
The map below shows the location of Karvina mine's offices. The mine is located in the Ostrava-Karviná coal basin, which in turn is a part of the Upper-Silesian basin.
OKD's mining activities in Karvina are a part of two operations and five sites.
Mining operation one covers three of the five sites. According to OKD, those three are the ČSA Site, Lazy Site, and Darkov Site. ČSA Site covers two mining licenses: Karviná Doly I and Doubrava u Orlové. Lazy Site is located in the south-west part of the Karviná coal basin with a mining license covering cadastral territories of Orlová and Karviná. Darkov Site covers three separate mining licenses – Darkov, Karviná Doly II and Stonava.
Mining operation two covers two sites. The North and South ČSM Mines are located in the eastern part of the Karviná coal district.
In 2008 OKD merged its CSA and Lazy Mines into one mine known as the Karvina coal mine, which it planned would produce approximately 12.5 million metric tons per year.
In 2013, OKD issued a press release stating it was working "to expand the coal mining activities at the ČSA site of the Karviná Mine in new areas thus extending the mine’s lifetime until 2035." Homes were purchased and demolished for this expansion.
The release claimed that "Karviná Mine should start mining first coal in the new areas in 2016." These estimates appear to have been proven correct.
In 2018, an explosion in the Karvina coal mine killed 13 people. Methane levels were 4.5 times the allowable level in the OKD mine at the time of the explosion, according to Bohuslav Machek, spokesman for the Czech mining authority.
- Owner: OKD, a.s.
- Parent company: KARBON INVEST, a. s., whose majority shareholder is RPG Industries, Ltd
- Location: Ostrava-Karviná coal basin, Czech Republic
- GPS coordinates: 49.844561, 18.494387
- Mine status: operating
- Start year: 1950
- Mineable reserves: 84.8 million tonnes (34 proven, 50.8 probable)
- Coal type: bituminous
- Mine size:
- Mine type: Underground
- Production: 4.14 million tonnes per annum
- Additional proposed production:
- Number of employees:
Articles and resources
- OKD OSTRAVA-KARVINÁ COAL BASINorganizational site, accessed Nov 23, 2019
- OKD HOW COAL IS MINED IN OKD organizational website, accessed Nov 25, 2019
- Mark Brininstool, "The Mineral Industry of the Czech Republic", U.S. Geological Survey, March 2010.
- OKD PREPARATIONS FOR THE OKD’S PROJECT OF COAL MINING EXPANSION AT KARVINÁ MINE CONTINUE. BOUGHT-OUT HOUSES ARE BEING DEMOLISHED IN KARVINÁ-STARÉ MĚSTO; BUY-OUTS TO CONTINUE NEXT YEAR Organisational website, accessed Nov. 23, 2019
- Marc Santora Czech Coal Mine Explosion Kills at Least 13 New York Times Dec. 21, 2018
- Karl Janieck Death toll in Czech mine explosion increases to 13 WMC Action News, Dec 21, 2018
- OKD AFTER 1990 organizational website, accessed Nov 23, 2019
- OKD MINES ČSA, LAZY AND DARKOV organizational website, accessed Nov 25, 2019
- Sustainability Report 2012 2012
- OKD Coal Mining organizational website, accessed Nov 23, 2019