Kaltim Teluk Balikpapan power station
|This article is part of the CoalSwarm coverage of Indonesia and coal|
Kaltim Teluk Balikpapan power station, also known as the Balikpapan IPP power station, is a 220-megawatt (MW) coal-fired station in East Kalimantan Province, Indonesia.
The map below shows the location of the project, in Kariangau Village, North Balikpapan District, Balikpapan City, East Kalimantan Province.
Background on Plant
Kaltim Teluk Balikpapan power station, also known as the Balikpapan IPP power station, is a 220-megawatt (MW) coal-fired power station under construction in East Kalimantan Province. Construction began in March 2011. Construction is being managed by Indonesian firm Adhi Karya and Chinese firm Sinohydro.
In March 2014, a presentation by the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources indicated that the first two units of the Kaltim Teluk Balikpapan power station, developed under Fast Track Program Phase I, was in the construction stage at less than 50 percent completion. Coal for the plant is to come from the Sangatta Coal Mine, operated by the Australian based Thiess mining company. Unit 1 is scheduled to begin test operations in April 2015, and the entire plant will apparently be completed by the end of 2015.
An October 10, 2015, video shows a steam blow at the newly completed plant.
According to an April 2018 Platts listing construction of a third unit of 300 MW is being planned for 2021. The expansion would be run by PT Lestari Banten Energy (LBE), a subsidiary of Genting BHD. As of June 2019 there has been no further news about this expansion and it appears to be shelved.
- Sponsor: PT PLN
- Parent Company: PT PLN
- Location: Kariangau Village, North Balikpapan District, Balikpapan City, East Kalimantan Province, Borneo, Indonesia
- Coordinates: -1.17036, 116.78872 (exact)
- Status: Units 1 & 2: Operating; Unit 3: Shelved
- Gross Capacity: 220 MW (2 x 110 MW)
- Type: Subcritical
- Start date: Units 1 & 2: 2015
- Coal Type:
- Coal Source:
- Source of financing:
Articles and resources
- Melongok Proyek PLTU Teluk Balikpapan Di Kaltim, PLN website, accessed Mar. 2015.
- PLTU Teluk Balikpapan Mulai Dibangun, Tribun News, 25 Mar. 2011.
- PLN Segera Bangun PLTU Skala Besar Di Riau dan Kalimantan Timur, Indonesia Ministry of Energy & Mineral Resources press release, undated, accessed Mar. 2015.
- “Electricity Policy Development & Investment Opportunity in Indonesia,” presentation by Ministry Energy and Mineral Resources, Directorate General of Electricity, March 2014, page 7
- "Sangatta Coal Mine" Thiess company page, accessed March 24, 2014.
- "Steam Blow PLTU KALTIM TELUK BALIKPAPAN," Youtube, October 10, 2015