Dr. KP Yohannan has been crisscrossing the globe for the past 40 years, challenging the Body of Christ to discipleship. His call to a radical lifestyle—with an all-out commitment to Jesus—has left its impact on nearly every continent. To the Church caught up by the tidal waves of compromise and self-preservation, Yohannan’s life message is a fresh word to this generation and yet as timeless as the scriptural mandate itself.
Yohannan is the founder and director of GFA World (Gospel For Asia), a Christian mission organization deeply committed to seeing communities transformed through the love of Christ demonstrated in word and deed. He is also the founder and self-consecrated Metropolitan Bishop of Believers Eastern Church  with the religious title and name of Moran Mor Athanasius Yohan I. Believers Church is an indigenous church in South Asia.
Born in South India in 1950, Yohannan is the youngest of six sons. His mother dedicated each of her children to the Lord and longed to see one of them commit their lives to ministry. She secretly fasted each Friday for three-and-a-half years, praying, “Oh God, let just one of my boys preach!” Even as she prayed, her children were growing up, seeming destined for secular work. Finally, only the youngest, little “Yohannachan,” was left. Seeing how shy and insecure he was, his mother thought there was little chance that he would preach.
However, after Yohannan finished his schooling, he heard stories about North India from a visiting mission team, and his heart was gripped. His mother’s faithful prayers were answered as he immediately decided to join the mission movement and go to faraway North India to help bring the Good News to the multitude of villages that had never heard of Christ. While preparing to go with this radical mission team from Europe, the timid 16-year-old was challenged by a call to radical discipleship from missionary statesman George Verwer. That night, Yohannan couldn’t sleep. What if God asked him to preach publicly in the streets? What if he was stoned and beaten?
Suddenly, God’s presence filled the room, and he knew he was not alone. “Lord God,” he prayed in surrender, “I’ll give myself to speak for You—but help me to know that You’re with me.”
The next morning, he awoke with a supernatural love and burden for the people around him. The Lord gave him courage to speak to the crowds he saw that day, and he continued to preach for the next seven years in North India. As a field evangelist and regional coordinator, he was responsible for the members of his teams and the planning of each day. His future wife, Gisela, was also serving with the mission movement at the same time, and Yohannan felt through their brief encounters that he had found someone who shared his same vision and calling.
In 1971, Yohannan was invited to spend a month in Singapore at a new institute that had been started by John Haggai. Here, he was challenged by Haggai to do something significant with his life for God’s glory. His time at the institute produced a restlessness that eventually led him to leave India to search abroad for God’s ultimate will in his life. In 1974, he came to the United States, where he received his theological training at Criswell College. He and Gisela were married after his first term.
As a theology student, Yohannan was ordained and began pastoring a local church in Dallas, where he served for four years. While God blessed his pastoral ministry, Yohannan couldn’t forget the burden God had given him for those who had never once heard the name of Jesus.
Yohannan is married to Gisela, who served with him in Operation Mobilization. They met in 1973. In 1974, they were married in Germany, Gisela’s birth country. They have two children, Daniel and Sarah.
1950 - KP Yohannan is born
1958 - became a follower of Jesus
1966 - joined Operation Mobilization (OM)
1971 - was invited to spend a month in Singapore at a new institute that had been started by John Haggai. The Institute now conducts Haggai International Institute for Advanced Leadership and has trained leaders in 189 countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East during the last 53 years.
1974 - moved to the United States for theological studies at Criswell College; married Gisela; Six months into his undergraduate degree, K. P. Yohannan became an ordained clergyman and served as a pastor of a Native American Southern Baptist church for four years near Dallas, Texas.
1978 - graduated with a B.A. in Biblical Studies, becoming the school’s first international student to graduate.
1979 - started Gospel for Asia in Kerala, India; resigned from his church to devote his attention full-time to mission work.
2016 - received the Reggie White Fatherhood Award from the Christian Men’s Network’s Global Fatherhood Initiative
2018 - Believers Eastern Church announced that the bishops and leaders in the church would take up "ecclesiastical" names in church duties, and K.P. Yohannan would now be known as Moran Mor Athanasius Yohan Metropolitan in relation to church duties.
2003 - awarded Alumnus of the Year from Criswell College
Remembering the Millions in Asia
As the Lord reminded Yohannan of the millions in Asia still waiting to learn of His love for them, he resigned his pastorate, and he and Gisela began taking steps to start an organization to support national missionaries, which eventually became known as GFA. They began meeting together each Tuesday night with a small, faithful group of believers to pray over world maps.
The Lord soon guided them to start a program through which people could regularly support the work of national missionaries by laying aside one dollar a day. As the Lord opened doors to share this opportunity with churches and individuals, the ministry began to grow.
Today, GFA World comes alongside thousands of national workers and supports them through prayer and assistance as they bring hope to the most needy in South Asia. GFA World is engaged in dozens of projects, such as caring for poor children, slum dwellers and widows and orphans; providing clean water by funding wells; supporting medical missions; and meeting the needs of those in leprosy colonies. Through GFA World’s Child Sponsorship Program, tens of thousands of children are being rescued from the generational curses of poverty and hopelessness. In honor of Yohannan’s decades of demonstrating the heart of a father to the fatherless, the members of the Christian Men’s Network’s Global Fatherhood Initiative awarded him the Reggie White Fatherhood Award in 2016. In 2003, he was awarded Alumnus of the Year from Criswell College for his influence in the work of God.
Dr. Yohannan had a close working relationship and friendship with the late George Verwer, the radical evangelist and founder of Operation Mobilization (OM), who was also his mentor in evangelism and discipleship .
A Ministry of Discipleship
One of Yohannan’s deep desires is to see a new generation catch sight of the Lord’s burden for the hopeless in their generation and to give themselves, no-holds-barred, to His work. GFA World’s School of Discipleship, a one-year program for young adults, is helping fulfill this dream. Through this life-changing year at GFA’s headquarters in East Texas, dozens of young people have deepened their relationship with Christ and grown in their desire to follow in His footsteps. Many of them are now serving the Lord full-time in different capacities across the globe.
Ministering hope and practical help to the people of South Asia, Dr. Yohannan’s radio program, Spiritual Journey, reaches more than 1 billion people in 110 languages. His Road to Reality  radio program airs weekly on more than 200 radio stations in the United States, Canada, Europe, Australia and New Zealand. Additionally, viewers in 100 nations can watch him daily on AYTV. He served on the executive committee of World by Radio from 2004–2012 and as a board member with the National Religious Broadcasters Association (NRB) from 2013–2015. In recognition of his service, NRB presented Yohannan with its Individual Achievement in International Broadcasting award in 2003. Dr. Yohannan is also an active member of the Kerala Council of Churches (KCC). He represents Believer’s Eastern Church. 
Dr. Yohannan is a prolific writer with more than 200 books published in Asia and 11 in the United States. With more than 3.9 million copies in print, Yohannan’s landmark book, Revolution in World Missions, is an international bestseller that has literally changed the course of mission history in our generation. Yohannan’s other titles include The Road to Reality; Come, Let’s Reach the World; Living in the Light of Eternity Living in the Light of Eternity; Destined to Soar; No Longer a Slumdog. For his faithful service to the Body of Christ, Yohannan was awarded an honorary Doctor of Divinity degree from Hindustan Bible College in Chennai, India.
- Against The Wind. Amazon, Paperback, ISBN 1595890475 - Drawing from contemporary illustrations and moving life experiences, K.P. Yohannan plumbs the depths of 2 Timothy to reveal the characteristics that help us to run strong, so that one day we can echo Paul—“I have fought the good fight. I have finished the race. I have kept the faith.” Press on against the wind.
- A Life of Balance. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00IMUAJSI - Learn how to develop the balance which will keep your life and ministry healthy and honoring God. In this short booklet, K.P. Yohannan discusses Biblical balance in 11 key areas of life, such as discipline and freedom, faith and common sense, love and doctrine, zeal and wisdom
- Come, Let's Reach The World: Partnership in Church Planting Among the Most Unreached. Amazon, Paperback, ISBN 1595890033 - How effective are our current missions strategies? Are the unreached in fact hearing the Gospel? The Body of Christ has the power to either advance or hinder world evangelism by her attitude: Will she cling to traditional mindsets and policies, or welcome change to stay faithful to the Holy Spirit and His Word? With deep conviction, missions leader K.P. Yohannan pleads for fresh thinking that will help effective partnership with the national missionaries who are called and anointed of God to proclaim the Gospel.
- Crisis in Leadership. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00IMTW9KU - As leaders, we all want to succeed. But being human, most of us struggle with the fear of failure, and our efforts to protect ourselves often make things worse—for ourselves and others! If our insecurity is left unchecked, we may hinder the work of the Lord and stifle the potential of the very people we are called to lead. Whether you are a leader or serve under one, this book has wisdom on how together we can overcome this crisis in leadership and press on to know Christ.
- Dance Not for Time. Amazon, Hardcover, ISBN 1595891293 - This illustrated collection of poetry transports you from a small river in South India to a crowded Bombay street, from the dawn of creation to the hope of redemption, while honestly exploring the joys and challenges we all face in walking with Christ in this world. A unique gift!
- Dependence upon the Lord. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00INZ3W3G - To make a lasting impact on this world for Jesus, your life and ministry must be motivated and maintained solely by dependence upon the Lord Himself. This short but instructive book will help you turn from "leaning on your own understanding" to a life of childlike trust on God's strength and grace. Do this, and watch your life blossom into fruitfulness!
- Destined to Soar. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00LDW4G2C - Like a breath of fresh air, K.P Yohannan calls us far above this world where the air is clear and we can see again. These short, hard-hitting chapters keep you thinking and confront you with change. You will discover that there is a purpose for your struggles and a way to walk through them with joy, peace and trust in the Living God. Time and time again, you are brought face-to-face with what is really important.
- Discouragement: Reasons and Answers. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00INIAR9K - Ready to defeat discouragement and move on? It can be done! In this honest and engaging booklet, K.P. Yohannan uncovers the reasons for discouragement and provides practical answers. Find new hope and strength for an overcoming life.
- Journey with Jesus. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00INIANV2
- Learning to Pray. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00IMTWNKQ
- Little Things That Make a Big Difference. Amazon, Hardcover, ISBN 1595891234
- Living By Faith Not By Sight. Amazon, Paperback, ISBN 1565999819
- Living in the Light of Eternity: How to Make the Only Difference That Matters. Amazon, Perfect Paperback, ISBN 1595891404
- Never Give Up Amazon, Paperback ISBN-10:1595891757
- No Longer a Slumdog: Bringing Hope to Children in Crisis. Amazon, Paperback, ISBN 1595890653
- One Month For Asia - A Devotional Guide Amazon Paperback ASIN: B0016SQJ6E
- Principles in Maintaining a Godly Organization. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00INIAEY8
- Revolution in World Missions. Amazon, Paperback, ISBN 1595890017
Revolution in World Missions is an autobiographical and prophetic work of K.P. Yohannan. The book tells of his personal call to be part of taking the love of Christ to a world so desperate in need, and challenges readers to a radical lifestyle of all-out commitment to Christ and his cause. It also advocates what has been called a “third wave” in missions, shifting away from a focus on sending Western missionaries to one that is more on support for national Christian workers. The book was first published in 1986 and has been translated into eight languages. There are currently more than 4 million copies distributed around the world.
- Reflecting His Image: The Beauty of Following Christ Intimately. Amazon, Paperback, ISBN 159589005X
- Seeing Him. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00INIAIIU
- Tender Heart: Poems (Currently unavailable online)
- Stay Encouraged. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00INIAUHE
- That They All May Be One. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00ILILTA8
- The Beauty of Christ through Brokenness. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00IMU3IMW
- The Lord's Work Done in the Lord's Way. Amazon, Paperback, ISBN 978-1595890177
- The Seasons of Lent (US) Ordered through GFA Store
- Touching Godliness. Amazon, Paperback, ISBN 1595891218
- The Road to Reality: Coming Home to Jesus from the Unreal World. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00KMD585W
- When We Have Failed-What Next?. Amazon, Paperback, ASIN B00GXKPMYU
- Why the World Waits (Modern Missions) (Currently unavailable online)
"The single most important hindrance to world evangelization right now is the lack of total involvement by the body of Christ." - K.P. Yohannan
“Every truth in this world stretched beyond its limits will become a false doctrine.” ― K.P. Yohannan, Living in the Light of Eternity
“God's word tells us that righteousness is a gift; it cannot be earned. But godliness is not a gift. We must pay a price to touch godliness through a daily decision to die to self and embrace the cross. God calls us to learn godliness in the classroom of life among people as we sit on airplanes and buses, walk among our neighbors and labor at our factories or desks.” ― K.P. Yohannan, Touching Godliness
“Yet so often it seems that victory eludes us. It is when our self-confidence is finally destroyed and is replaced with dependence upon God that we have victory.” ― K.P. Yohannan, When We Have Failed-What Next?: God's Answer to Our Failures
What happened to KP Yohannan?
KP Yohannan remains in good health, married, with kids and grandkids.
He travels extensively from the United States to various countries in Asia, as well as Africa, to oversee the ministry and outreach of GFA World. Because of numerous threats to his life, his travel schedule is typically undisclosed, which can sometimes lead to people wondering where he is and why he maintains an air of secrecy about his day to day work.
In addition, he has adversaries who make it their goal to misconstrue his mission / purpose / vision in life, so it's typically been true that various sources like to create fake news about KP, that often sticks on the internet for lengths of time.
Examples of fake news include: 1. how there was a warrant out for his arrest from the state of Texas; 2. how his home in Kerala, India was raided by the local Tax Department that found cash in a car nearby (the daily bank deposit); 3. that KP drives a fancy European Sports Sedan (it's a 1964 VW Beetle without air conditioning that he's owned for over 30 years); 4. that he is divorced although he's been happily married to his wife, Gisela, for nearly 50 years.
- Gospel For Asia Website "https://www.gfa.org/"
- Believers Church "http://www.believerschurch.com/"
- Bland, Vikki. Yohannan: Persecution is Part of the Deal. Crosswalk.com.
- Bergunder, Michael (2008). The South Indian Pentecostal Movement in the Twentieth Century. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. ISBN 978-0-8028-2734-0.
- Road to Reality "http://www.roadtoreality.org/"
- Gospel for Asia Celebrates Its 40th Year of God’s Faithfulness![https://www.gfa.org/40-years/ “Gospel for Asia Celebrates Its 40th Year of God’s Faithfulness!”] Retrieved 14 Feb 2019.
- KP Yohannan's Official Blog
- Gospel For Asia World
- KP Yohannan's Wiki Page
- KP Yohannan's Facebook Twitter Instagram Amazon The Road to Reality Patheos Blog