Sheehan is one of three retired four-star generals reported to have declined the offer to become "war czar" "to oversee the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan with authority to issue directions to the Pentagon, the State Department and other agencies." 
- Former special advisor for Central Asia, U.S. Department of Defense
- Former NATO Supreme Allied Commander Atlantic; Commander-in-Chief of U.S. Atlantic Command (1963-1997)
- Bechtel Group Inc.: Senior Vice President for Europe, Africa, Middle East, and Southwest Asia (2001-current); Manager for Europe, Africa, Middle East, and Southwest Asia (1998-2000)
- Henry Jackson Society
- Jack Sheehan, Right Web profile.
- Peter Baker and Thomas E. Ricks, "3 Generals Spurn the Position of War 'Czar'. Bush Seeks Overseer For Iraq, Afghanistan," Washington Post, April 11, 2007. Also see Jack Keane and Joseph W. Ralston
- John J. Sheehan, "Why I Declined To Serve," Washington Post, April 16, 2007.