Herman Daly "was born in 1938. He took a doctorate in economics from Vanderbilt University in 1967, became an Associate Professor at Louisiana State University (LSU) in 1968 and a full professor there in 1973. In 1976 he was a recipient of the university's Distinguished Research Master Award. He was Alumni Professor of Economics at LSU from 1983 to '88.
"During his time at LSU Daly was also Visiting Professor of Economics at the University of Ceará, Brazil (1968), a research associate at Yale University (1969-70), Visiting Fellow at the Centre for Resources and Environmental Studies of the Australian National University (1980) and a Fulbright Senior Lecturer in Brazil (1983). From 1988 to '94, he was Senior Economist in the Environment Department of the World Bank, and since 1994 he has been Senior Research Scholar at the School of Public Affairs, University of Maryland. In 1996, in addition to the Right Livelihood Award, Daly received the Heineken Prize for Environmental Science awarded by the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences.
"Daly's books include Towards a Steady-State Economy (1973); Steady-State Economics (1977); Economics, Ecology, Ethics (1980); Valuing the Earth: Economics, Ecology, Ethics (co-edited with K. Townsend); For the Common Good: Redirecting the Economy Toward Community, the Environment and a Sustainable Future (with John Cobb, 1989); Population, Technology and Lifestyle (co-edited with R. Goodland and S. El Serafy, 1992); Beyond Growth: The Economics of Sustainable Development (1996). He has also published over 100 articles in scholarly journals and magazines.
"In 1989, Daly was one of the key figures in the foundation of the International Society for Ecological Economics (ISEE), and serves as Associate Editor of its journal Ecological Economics. ISEE is the major forum that links economists and ecologists, and academics and environmental activists. Through ISEE 'ecological economics' is coming to be perceived as distinct from conventional 'environmental economics' and is gaining credibility as a discipline in its own right." 
- Executive Board, Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy 
- Advisory Board, Center for a New American Dream 
- Canada Council, Ecotrust
- Science and Policy Advisory Council, Global Footprint Network 
- Advisory Board, Carrying Capacity Network 
- Advisory Board, Population Media Center 
- Advisory Board, Positive Money 
- Advisory Panel, Sustainable Scale Project 
- Honorary Advisor, The Other Economic Summit USA 
- Editorial Board, Solutions Journal 
- Winner of the 1992 Grawemeyer Award 
- Expert Advisory Group, Population Matters 
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Forum on Religion and Ecology: Advisory Board of Area Specialists for the Forum
- International Process Network
- John B. Cobb, Jr.
- Herman Daly, Right Livelihood Award, accessed December 28, 2007.
- Center for the Advancement of the Steady State Economy Executive Board, organizational web page, accessed April 19, 2012.
- Advisory Board, Center for a New American Dream, accessed December 28, 2007.
- Science and Policy Advisory Council, Global Footprint Network, accessed April 24, 2008.
- About, Carrying Capacity Network, accessed September 14, 2008.
- Advisory Board, Population Media Center, accessed September 16, 2008.
- Positive Money Advisory Board, organizational web page, accessed April 17, 2014.
- Sustainable Scale Project Advisory Panel, organizational web page, accessed January 11, 2013.
- Directors, The Other Economic Summit, accessed March 3, 2009.
- Solutions Journal Editorial Board, organizational web page, accessed June 18, 2013.
- Previous Winners, Grawemeyer Awards, accessed March 23, 2009.
- Population Mattters Expert Advisory Council, organizational web page, accessed May 13, 2020.