Hamilton Fish Armstrong
Hamilton Fish Armstrong (April 7, 1893 – April 24, 1973) was a United States diplomat and editor.
He attended Princeton University, and started his journalistic activity at the New Republic. During the First World War, he was a military attaché in Serbia. After 1922, he worked at Foreign Affairs, the review of Council on Foreign Relations, as adjoint of Archibald Cary Coolidge. After his death in 1928, he became the editor of the magazine. Armstrong retired from Foreign Affairs in 1972, the fiftieth year of its publication, and died after a long illness on April 24, 1973, at the age of 80.
He was the editor of the magazine Foreign Affairs between 1928 and 1972. He authored the book Hitler's Reich : The First Phase , published July 1933 by The Macmillan Company, N.Y..
Armstrong married three times. Helen MacGregor Byrne became his wife in 1918, and they had one daughter, Helen MacGregor (later Mrs. Edwin Gamble) on September 3, 1923. Armstrong and Byrne divorced in 1938. In 1938, Walter Lippmann married to first wife of Hamilton Fish Armstrong; it was the end of a friendship between the two men.
Armstrong married Carman Barnes in 1945, a marriage which ended in a 1951 divorce. In that same year Armstrong married Christa von Tippelskirch.
- Order of the Serbian Red Cross (1918)
- Order of St. Sava Fifth Class (1918)
- Chevalier of Order of the White Eagle with Swords (1919)
- Order of the Crown (Rumania) in 1924
- Order of the White Lion of Czechoslovakia in 1937
- Officer of the Legion of Honor of France (1937) and became a commander in 1947
- Commander of the British Empire in 1972
He received honorary degrees from Brown (1942), Yale (1957), the University of Basel (1960), Princeton (1961), Columbia (1963), and Harvard (1963).
- 1926 The New Balkans
- 1929 Where the East Begins
- 1933 Hitler's Reich: The First Phase (1933),
- 1934 Europe Between Wars?
- 1936 Can We Be Neutral? avec Allen W. Dulles,
- 1937 "We or They:"Two Worlds in Conflict
- 1939 When There Is No Peace
- 1939 Can America Stay Neutral? avec Allen W. Dulles,
- 1940 Chronology of Failure
- 1947 The Calculated Risk
- 1951 Tito and Goliath
- 1963 Those Days
- 1971 Peace and Counterpeace: From Wilson to Hitler