Ghillean Tolmie Prance
"Scientific Director of the Eden Project in Cornwall, U.K.
"Visiting Professor at Reading University and McBryde Professor at the US National Tropical Botanical Garden in Hawaii.
"Director of the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew from 1988 to 1999...
"In addition to his various duties at The New York Botanical Garden, Sir Ghillean was the founder Director of graduate studies at the Instituto Nacional de Pesquisas da Amazonia (INPA) in Manaus, Brazil where he set up programmes in botany, ecology, entomology and ichthyology. He was adjunct Professor of the City University at New York (1969-1999) and is a Visiting Professor at the University of Reading; from 1983-88, he was Visiting Professor in Tropical Studies at the School of Forestry and Environmental Studies of Yale University. He is a Fellow of the Linnean Society of London and was President 1997-2000, Fellow of The Royal Geographical Society, the Explorers Club and the American Association for the Advancement of Science, and has been President of the Association of Tropical Biology (1979-80), the American Association of Plant Taxonomists (1984-85), the Systematics Association (1989-1991) and is President of the Institute of Biology (2000-2002).
"Sir Ghillean holds Honorary Doctorates from the Universities of Kent, Portsmouth, Kingston-upon-Thames, St Andrews, University of Bergen in Norway, Göteborg University in Sweden, Florida International University, Sheffield, Liverpool, Plymouth, Keele, Exeter, and Lehman College of City University, New York. He is a foreign member of the Academy of Sciences of Brazil, Denmark and Sweden; his honours include the Diploma Honora ao Mérito from INPA, Brazil (1978), the Distinguished Service Award of the New York Botanical Garden (1986), the Henry Shaw Medal of the Missouri Botanical Garden (1988), the Linnean Medal for Botany (1990), the Patron's Medal of the Royal Geographical Society (1994), the International Award of Excellence of the Botanical Research Institute of Texas (1998), Corresponding Member of the Botanical Society of America (1994), the Ordem Nacional do Mérito Cientifico:-Grã-Cruz (Brazil) 1995 and the Order of the Southern Cross from Brazil in 2000. In 1993, he was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society and was awarded the International Cosmos Prize for his environmental work in Amazonia. He received the lifetime Discovery Award from the Royal Geographical Society and the Discovery Channel in 1999 and the David Fairchild Medal for Plant Exploration jointly with his wife Anne in 2000. He was knighted in July 1995, and received the Victoria Medal of Honour from the Royal Horticultural Society in 1999." 
- Trustee, Global Diversity Foundation 
- Trustee (2008), Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest Trust 
- Emeritus Director, Au Sable Institute
- Director, All Species Foundation
- Advisory Board, Rainforest Concern 
- Patron, John Ray Initiative 
- Patron, La Reserva Forest Foundation 
- International Trustee, A Rocha 
- Clive Langmead, A Passion for Plants: The story of Ghillean Prance's Life from the Brazilian Forests of Brazil to Kew Gardens (Kew Publishing, 2001).
Resources and articles
Related Sourcewatch articles
- Biosphere 2 - in charge of trees
- Ghillean Prance, Au Sable Institute, accessed February 26, 2009.
- Trustees, Global Diversity Foundation, accessed April 21, 2009.
- Annual Report 2008, charitycommission, accessed April 22, 2009.
- About, Rainforest Concern, accessed February 26, 2009.
- Whos who, John Ray Initiative, accessed April 28, 2009.
- La Reserva Forest Foundation People, organizational web page, accessed December 17, 2013.
- A Rocha International Trustees, organizational web page, accessed January 10, 2015 .