Genetically Engineered Alfalfa
Genetically Engineered Alfalfa (GE Alfalfa) is alfalfa that has had its DNA modified through the process of genetic engineering. As of 2012, the only variety of GE alfalfa is Roundup Ready Alfalfa, which has been engineered to withstand the herbicide Roundup (glyphosate).
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Herbicide Tolerant Crops
- Genetically Modified Organisms
- Coexistence Between GMOs and Organics
- Lily Kosmicki, "Genetically Modified Alfalfa: Literally Jaw Dropping," Green Answers, June 13, 2012.
- Andy Bloxham, Toxic pesticides from GM food crops found in unborn babies, The Telegraph, May 20, 2011.
- Cookson Beecher, "Biotech Alfalfa Puts Spotlight on Coexistence," Food Safety News, March 31, 2011.
- Lisa J. Bunin, Liana Hoodes, and Michael Sligh, "Nature Happens – Humans Can’t Control Everything, Particularly GE Alfalfa," The True Food Network, Center for Food Safety, February 22, 2011.
- Barbara Damrosch, "Genetically engineered alfalfa isn't necessary, Washington Post, February 16, 2011.
- Paula Crossfield, "GM and Organic Co-Existence: Why We Really Just Can’t Get Along, Civil Eats, February 9, 2011.
- Marion Nestle, "GM alfalfa: the politics explained," Food Politics, February 4, 2011.
- Parke Wilde, "A spat among friends over GMO alfalfa," U.S. Food Policy, January 31, 2011.
- Tom Philpott, "White House pressured Vilsack to approve GMO alfalfa, media reports suggest," Grist, January 31, 2011.
- Sam Fromartz, "Vilsack caved on GM alfalfa, so what's the impact?," Chews Wise, January 28, 2011.
- Tom Philpott, "In a stunning reversal, USDA chief Vilsack greenlights Monsanto’s alfalfa," Grist, January 27, 2011.
- Robynn Shrader, "A Case for Biotech and Organic Co-Existence, Civil Eats, January 11, 2011.
- Marion Nestle, "Is GM alfalfa the new Cold War? USDA urges peaceful coexistence.," Food Politics, January 11, 2011.
- USDA Holds Stakeholder Meeting on Genetically Engineered Alfalfa and Coexistence, News Release, USDA, December 2010.
- Tom Vilsack, Open Letter to Stakeholders from Secretary Vilsack to Urge GE and non-GE Coexistence, USDA, December 2010.
- William Neuman and Andrew Pollack, "Farmers Cope With Roundup-Resistant Weeds," New York Times, May 3, 2010.
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|