Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dr. Farouk El-Baz
Advisory Committee Memberships (Selected) 
- Steering Committee for Earth Science, Smithsonian Institution
- Non-Renewable Resources Review Panel, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- Arid and Semi-Arid Research Needs, National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Advisory Board, Program on Southwest Asia and Islamic Civilization, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, Medford, Massachusetts
- Advisory Committee, Getty Conservation Institute, Los Angeles, California
- Senior Advisor, Division of Environmental and Earth Sciences, Kuwait Institute for Scientific Research, Kuwait
- Advisory Council, Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences, Kuwait
- Evaluation Panel, Research Evaluation Unit (1988-present), Commission of the European Community, Brussels, Belgium
- Advisory Board, Great Man-Made River Project (1988-2004), UNESCO, Paris, France
- Science Advisory Board (1988-present), Explorers Club, New York
- Award Committee (1990-present), Arab Fund for Economic and Social Development, Kuwait
- Steering Committee (1990-present), International Centre for Earth Sciences and Environment, Treiste, Italy
- Member, Board of Advisors (1991-present), Coolidge Center for Environmental Leadership, Cambridge, Massachusetts
- Member of the Council (1991-present), World Resources Institute, Washington, D.C.
- Prizes and Awards Committee (1992-present), Museum of Science, Boston, Massachusetts
- Member of the Advisory Council (1992-present), International Institute of Boston
- Member of the International Advisory Council, Institute for Advanced Studies in Basic Sciences, Zinjan, Iran
- Member of the General Advisory Board (1996), Encyclopedia of Life Support Systems: Water, Energy, Environment, Food, and Agriculture, NASA Center for Autonomous Central Engineering, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico
- Expert, Global Terrestrial Observation System, United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), Rome, Italy
- Advisor, Mars Drill Committee (1997-present), Ministry of State for Scientific Research, Cairo, Egypt
- Member, Council for Space Sciences and Technology, Academy of Scientific Research and Technology, Ministry of Scientific Research, Cairo, Egypt
- Committee of Applications, Earth Sciences and Climate Change (1998-present), Council for Space Sciences and Technology, Academy of Scientific Research and Technology, Cairo, Egypt
- Member, Advisory Board, Arab Science and Technology Foundation, University of Sharjah, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- Co-Chair; Sheering Committee Member; and Keynote Speaker, Second International Conference on Earth Observation And Environmental Information, 11-14 November 2000, Cairo, Egypt
- Member, Expert Panel, The World Monuments Fund, New York, N.Y.
- Member, Charles Stark Draper Prize Award (2003-2004), National Academy of Engineering, Washington, D.C.
- Committee on Human Rights, National Academy of Sciences, National Academy of Engineering, and Institute of Medicine, National Academies, Washington, D.C.
- Member, Geological Applications of Remote Sensing, International Union of Geological Sciences, UNESCO, Paris, France
- Member, External Advisory Committee, NOAA South Texas Remote Sensing Cooperative Science Center, Texas A&M University, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Member, Desert Research Institute Foundation, Nevada Board of Regents, Reno, Nevada
- Member of the Board of Advisors, Clearwater LLC, Concord, Massachusetts
- Chair, Charles Stark Draper Prize Award (2005-2006), National Academy of Engineering, Washington, D.C.
- Member of the Advisory Board, Arab American National Museum, Dearborn, Michigan
- Arab Group for Ethics in Science, Bibliotheca Alexandrina, Alexandria, Egypt
- Chair, U.S. National Committee for Geological Sciences, The National Academies, Washington, D.C.
- Member, International Academy Panel, 2006 Conference, Alexandria, Egypt
- Member, External Advisory Council, Aramco Services Company, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
- Member, Advisory Board, Geology and Geophysics Alumni, University of Missouri-Rolla, Rolla, MO
- Member, Organizing Committee, International Conference on Climate Changes And their Impacts on Coastal Zones and River Deltas Vulnerability, Mitigation and Adaptation, Alexandria, Egypt
- Member of the Board, Mentor Arabia, Beirut, Lebanon
- Honorary Chairman (2007, Arab Youth STEM Challenge, Dubai, U.A.E.