Environmentalism is activism ostensibly aimed at improving the environment, particularly nature. This activism is usually based on the ideology of an environmental movement, and often takes the form of public education programs, advocacy, legislation and treaties.
Other SourceWatch resources
- Climate change
- "Endangered Wildlife Friends Are Here!", PR Watch, volume 1, number 3, Third Quarter 1994
- "'Smart' environmentalism", PR Watch, volume 1, number 3, Third Quarter 1994
- "Environmentalism" entry from Wikipedia
- Mac Chapin, "A Challenge to Conservationists", World Watch Magazine, November/December 2004.
- WWF US, "Setting the Record Straight", accessed December 2004. (This is a response to Marc Chapin's article).
- "Don't Fear the Reapers: A special series on the alleged "Death of Environmentalism"", Grist, January 13, 2005.
- Amanda Griscom Little, "Death Wish: An interview with authors of the controversial essay "The Death of Environmentalism"", Grist, January 13, 2005.
- Michael Shellenberger and Ted Nordhaus, "The Death of Environmentalism: Global warming politics in a post-environmental world", Grist, January 13, 2005. (This is a reprint of a article originally published in October 2004).
- Carl Pope, "And Now for Something Completely Different: An in-depth response to "The Death of Environmentalism"", Grist, January 13, 2005. (This response to Shellenberger and Nordhaus's paper was distributed by Pope in December 2004).
- Adam Werbach, "Is Environmentalism Dead?: A speech on where the movement can and should go from here", Grist, January 13, 2005.(This is a reprint of the speech at the Commonwealth Club of San Francisco on December 8, 2004).
- Felicity Barringer, "Paper Sets Off a Debate on Environmentalism's Future", New York Times, February 6, 2005.
- Mark Schmitt, ""Death" and Resurrection: If environmentalists -- or anybody else -- want to accomplish their goals, they'll have to move beyond their own causes", American Prospect, March 30, 2005.
- Sarah Sexton, Nicholas Hildyard and Larry Lohmann, "We're a Small Island: The Greening of Intolerance", The Corner House, April 7, 2005.
- Jonathan Leake, "Greens' labour lost as environment slips in polls", Australian Financial Review, May 6, 2005. (This is a reprint from the UK publication New Statesman. Leake is the environment editor of the Sunday Times.)
- Joan Lowy, "Environmentalists bypass Washington to pressure corporations", Scripps Howard News Service, May 25, 2005.
- Jeffrey St. Clair, "The Thrill is Gone: The Withering of the American Environmental Movement", Counterpunch, February 3 / 4, 2007.