Eagle River Mine
|This article is part of the Global Coal Mine Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
Eagle River Mine (also known as Eagle River No. 1) is a U.S. surface steam coal mine in Harrisburg, Illinois, owned by private coal company Eagle River Coal LLC.
The below satellite image shows the location of the mine in Harrisburg, Illinois.
The Eagle River mine is a surface mine operation just south of Harrisburg, IL, in southern Illinois. It ships primarily to electricity generators in Illinois and the Midwest region.
The mine was founded by Tom Franks and family. Franks originally founded the Arclar Company in 1983 as a family-owned coal company. It grew from 19 employees and an annual production of 120,000 tons to 600 employees and an annual production of 6,000,000 tons. Arclar was bought out by Peabody Energy in 2002. Franks then formed the family-owned Eagle River Coal, LLC, which operates the Eagle River mine. Eagle River LLC is one of the few remaining independent mining companies in Illinois, a high-sulfur steam coal state. It is part of the Illinois Basin that also includes neighboring western Kentucky and Indiana.
- Sponsor: Eagle River Coal LLC
- Parent Company: N/A
- Location: Harrisburg, Illinois, United States
- GPS Coordinates: 37.6646205, -88.5349122 (exact)
- Status: Operating
- Production Capacity: 3.1 million tons (2015)
- Total Resource:
- Mineable Reserves:
- Coal type: High-sulfur
- Mine Size: 295 acres
- Mine Type: Surface
- Start Year: 2011
- Source of Financing:
Articles and resources
Related SourceWatch articles
- Coal and jobs in the United States
- Coal phase-out
- Headquarters of U.S. coal mining companies
- Global list of coal mining companies and agencies
- Proposed coal mines
To see a listing of coal mines in a particular state, click on the map:
- Eagle River Coal Oil Monster, accessed November 2019.
- "Eagle River Increases Production" Coal Age, June 5, 2017.
- Mine Index 1050 Eagle River Coal, LLC, Eagle River No. 1 Mine accessed November, 2019.
- "Illinois Mines Could Boost State's Production" Coal Age, Mar. 24, 2011.