Donna Lee Bowen
Donna Lee Bowen "teaches comparative politics, gender politics, and Middle Eastern politics in the Department of Political Science at BYU [Brigham Young University]. She writes on the intersection of religion, tradition, and politics in the Middle East and has authored numerous articles and books dealing with the relation of Islam and political policy, specifically social policy concerning family planning and abortion. Her recent book, the second edition of Everyday Life in the Muslim Middle East, is widely used in universities. She currently serves as vice president of the American Institute for Maghrib (North Africa) Studies, an international research and study association for North Africa. She was named Alcuin Fellow (1995–98). Two Fulbright grants have provided research opportunities overseas and helped her complete numerous prestigious tasks for her profession. During her study and research she lived for extended periods of time in Egypt, Iran, Tunisia, and Morocco and has traveled in other parts of the Middle East. In addition to her academic work, Bowen has completed consulting projects on aspects of population, politics, development, and women’s status for the World Bank, the Ford Foundation, the Smithsonian Institution, and the United States Agency for International Development.
"She and her husband, Jim Barnes, have three daughters and eleven grandchildren." 
Professional Activities: 
- Chair, Advisory Board, BYU Studies, 2003-present.
- Program Chair, Middle East Studies Association meetings, November 6-10, 2003, Anchorage, Alaska.
- Editorial Board, BYU Studies, 2002-03.
- Member, Board of Directors, Tangier American Legation Museum Society, 2000- present.
- Fellow, Tangier American Legation Museum, 1999- 2000.
- Member, Middle East Committee, Social Science Research Council, 1998-2000.
- Treasurer, American Institute of Maghrib Studies, 1997-present.
- Member, Board of Directors, American Institute for Maghrib Studies (l984-86).
- General Secretary (head) of the Maghreb Studies Group, l982-83, inaugurated newsletter, membership drive and annual meetings. In l981-82 I co-founded the association.
- Director, Middle East Studies Association