Dolphin Qatar-UAE Natural Gas Pipeline
|This article is part of the Global Fossil Infrastructure Tracker, a project of Global Energy Monitor and the Center for Media and Democracy.|
Dolphin Qatar-UAE Natural Gas Pipeline is an operating natural gas pipeline in Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, and Oman.
The Pipeline begins in Qatar and runs offshore through the Persian Gulf to Taweelah in the United Arab Emirates. From there, the pipeline intersects with a number of small pipelines which move throughout U.A.E. and branch out into Oman.
- Operator: Dolphin Energy
- Parent Company: Mubadala Development Company (51%), Total (24.5%), Occidental Petroleum (24.5%)
- Capacity: 3,200 million cubic feet per day
- Length: 370 kilometers/ 230 miles
- Status: Operating
- Start Year: 2003
Dolphin Energy, the constructor and operator of the project pipeline, is jointly owned by Mubadala Development Company (51%), Total of France (24.5%) and Occidental Petroleum of the United States (24.5%). The first phase involved the development of two platforms in Qatar’s North field, two multi-phase offshore sealines to the processing facilities and the gas treatment and compression plants at Ras Laffan. The second phase involved the construction of a 48in diameter, 260 mile (364km) subsea pipeline that carries gas to the UAE (cost $3.5bn). The second phase was completed in August 2006. The pipeline has a capacity of 2 billion cubic feet per day and potentially can carry upwards to 3.2 billion cubic feet per day.
The Dolphin pipeline was the first pipeline laid as part of the Dolphin Natural Gas Project between Qatar and U.A.E. The second pipeline laid was the Al Ain - Fujairah pipeline, followed by the last the leg of the project, the Taweelah-Fujairah pipeline.
Articles and resources
- Dolphin Natural Gas Pipeline, A Barrel Full, accessed January 31, 2018
- Leigh Elston, South Korea seeks stronger ties with Oman to counter Strait closure, Interfax Global Energy, January 16, 2012
- The Dolphin Gas Project, Hydrocarbons Technology, accessed February 2, 2018
- Dolphin Energy, Dolphin Energy, accessed February 2, 2018
Related SourceWatch articles
[[Category: Existing pipelines in the United Arab Emirates]